SR20 Forum banner

We're back

625 views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  tkyan 
#1 ·
Unfortunately we lost everything from when we moved over the forums from early last week because a newbie backup operator at the ISP accidentally overwrote last nights backup. We upgraded the fault tolerance level of the account and I will be ftping the forums down myself every night so this doesn't happen again. I'll let Matt give any more detail he feels necessary.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE and crashed 93 NX2000

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
I'm being fueled only by caffeine at this point having basically been up all night restoring/repairing, but here is how we stand:

This server was attacked around 5:30pm last night, basically from what I've been able to tell DDoS and/or rootkit scripts were installed, and most configuration files for the core services were removed. The genius that did this basically screwed themself because as a result of killing my configs they forced me to have the OS reinstalled and everything wiped clean.
The fun continued when this morning I found out that my backup tape was overwritten by some underqualified kid at the NOC. Excellent. I'm getting a free month of service, but can't say I'm real happy.

Steps have been, and are being taken to prevent this from ever happening again.
- The telnetd daemon has been removed and switched purely to SSH
- I will be switching to another nightly backup configuration which includes accountability for anyone that doesn't know what they are doing at the ISP. This essentially saves my ass because they are also FINANCIALLY accountable for any lost profits on my end.
- Finally, as it relates to sr20deforum.com and its users, I have managed to get vBulletin working instead of UBB. This means, among other things, faster performance and a very fast and simple backup ability. This will happen in the next day or two, but I will need to coordinate that with Ben.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

[This message has been edited by sr20deboston (edited 08-27-2001).]

G
#5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
ya, I was getting bored at work.
</font>
HELL YEAH!! I FEEL YA!!
Im glad we're back up though!!
I knew I should've saved all my posts on disk!! J/K.
Great work to get us back up gentlemen!!!!!!

------------------
-

[This message has been edited by 94_REDSE-R (edited 08-27-2001).]

G
#6 ·
And were back. I have missed this forum, what nice break from the car ignorant ass clowns at work.

SR20boston, sounds like you do a lot for this, Thanks! Where are you in boston? I should visit my friends more often who live there.

#11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sr20deboston:
I'm being fueled only by caffeine at this point having basically been up all night restoring/repairing, but here is how we stand</font>
I hear ya, There was a storm where I work last night that took out a network switch, a couple of computers and on top of that I completly ruined my image of 30 computers b/c the power went out. Its now 24hrs later and i'm still playing catch up. Anyway I'm going to Victory brewing co. tonight and getting my drink on. Get a girl and take her home.

------------------
96 w/ HS CAI, timing @ 17, 92 I/E cams, Naxos muffler, Eibach Sportlines, Front struts: Motivational, Rear shocks: KYB AGX's, S/T sway bars, ES lower control arm bushings and motor mounts, Courtesy F/R STB, APC Clear corners, Stillen grille, and Focus short throw.

#12 ·
My car will be there in spirit.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.