SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Irish carbomb destroyer.
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had any experience with Wet Sanding paint on a car? What kinda grit of sand paper? How much water is used in the process?

my paint is making me so made..its only 3 years old and oxidizing like crazy! i tried rubbing compound, only helped little bit. Im at my wits end on this, my paint isnt that old and oxidizing like its 30 years old :( thanks folks

·
Registered
459 Posts
there was a thing on TRUCKS on spike tv, the guy used Megryers (spelling) kit, i think the grit of sand paper is 2,000. He let the sand paper soak in a bucket of water for an hour and then rubed it in circles on the car and made sure to keep it really wet. Then he he used different compounds and buffed them in, ended up looking really good.

·
Irish carbomb destroyer.
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fujimo said:
there was a thing on TRUCKS on spike tv, the guy used Megryers (spelling) kit, i think the grit of sand paper is 2,000. He let the sand paper soak in a bucket of water for an hour and then rubed it in circles on the car and made sure to keep it really wet. Then he he used different compounds and buffed them in, ended up looking really good.
talking about Maguiars?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
yup... i saw it to. that's what he's talking about. it's meguiars.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I get to wet sand next weekend on the fresh paint! I am not sure what grit you would use on 3 year old paint. Might want to use the Maguires.

·
Irish carbomb destroyer.
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i tried looking for the kit online or the info on it but cant find it :( but from what i gather people use 1500- 2000 grit ill continue the search :D

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
2,000 grit requires more work, but is easier on the paint and will prevent you from scratching the surface *too* deeply. Go with 2,000 until you're comfy with the process.
Turn on the hose so the water constantly flows over the area being sanded so it washes away the grit and junk. Use a sanding block (made of soft foam) so you will keep the paper pressure even.
3M Perfect-It-III rubbing compound, then Perfect-It-III glaze and you're done. Try doing this on a small area that is out of sight...like the lower rear bumper...so you can see how it works and in case you make a mistake.

·
Irish carbomb destroyer.
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SERprise In WV said:
2,000 grit requires more work, but is easier on the paint and will prevent you from scratching the surface *too* deeply. Go with 2,000 until you're comfy with the process.
Turn on the hose so the water constantly flows over the area being sanded so it washes away the grit and junk. Use a sanding block (made of soft foam) so you will keep the paper pressure even.
3M Perfect-It-III rubbing compound, then Perfect-It-III glaze and you're done. Try doing this on a small area that is out of sight...like the lower rear bumper...so you can see how it works and in case you make a mistake.
thank you mr. Perry, ill have to copy and paste this info in notepad so i dont forget ;)

and as far as sanding...make circles? and any idea where i could get that low of a grit

·
Registered
112 Posts
if your not scared to burn your paint and can use a buffer well go over the paint with 1000 lightly and then 1500 just try to keep the paper wet and stay away from edges buff it out with 3M Perfect-It-III rubbing compound then use a foam pad with 3M Perfect-It-III POLISH THEN be sure to check for dry spots along the way wash the car and use a hand glaze to hide any swirl marks. hope this helps i used to buff fresh paint jobs like this with no problems.just remember practice makes pefect.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Sand in a straight line, back-and-forth. Like SAT-SER said, after sanding for a little while, you'll want to wash and dry the area so you can see the areas that need sanded a little more/less. You'll be able to 'feel' when you've done an area enough through the sandpaper. Hard to explain.

-GP-

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
I was going to do my hood and front side panels today, even went out and bought extra foam pads to "create" a soft sanding block.

Took a long power nap instead... go figure, my mind was willing but the body was too exhausted.

Since the hood and side panels are no where near as bad as the roof and trunk was, I'll be sanding very lightly.

Peace,
Mark(I'll be making sure the hood and side panels turn out as well as the trunk and roof)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts