SR20 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's a good header for the NX

Who makes a good header for the NX? Also do they work with the stock exhaust or do I need a new one? Where are the performance gains with a header, in the low or high RPM range?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Any of the Headers that fit the Sentra SE-R will fit the NX. I would personaly recomend the Hotshots one. Stillen makes on and pacesetter. AEBS also makes one. Expect to pay around $500 unless you go with the pacesetter. But I think that you get what you pay for in this department. You will gain power throughout most of the powerband.

·
8,148 Posts
Any header will work as Marc said. Stillen will give you better bottom end where Hotshot will give you more top end. Marc, what size muffler are you using with the Courtesy B pipe? When I had a 2 1/4 straight thru (no resonator) with a 2" Borla the car used to have good top end for a N/A car. I also used to get this wierd but sweet kick at 5000rpm (which went away with the JWT ECU). 93 mph without a CAI is impressive. I may go back to my POP too!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yeah 93 is good but it came with a price. I cracked my tranny that day and have to change it this weak. I have a 2 1/4 muffler. I am still pissed that I did not hit 14s. I am done racing for the season also. So when I get back from my trip, (mid Feb at least) I WILL be in the 14s!!! :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'd get the Hotshot header. I have the AEBS header right now, and the power is awesome, but it's loud as hell. Even if the Hotshot made a couple hp less than the AEBS, I'd get the Hotshot because of the noise of the AEBS.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Subculture said:
Any dyno numbers with that? Also, how is the fit. And any issues with this header?
I'm looking for another headr to replace my crappy Stillen header.
I've read that the fit and finish of the AEBS header is top-notch (based on the SCC SR20 header test in the Dec. '99 issue, and others on the SE-R list with the same header). The few issues I can see with the header is ground clearance. The tubes stick out around 1" below the crossmember (4-1 design). So, if you plan on getting an N-Tech lower stress brace, don't get this header. Also, I recall someone a while back on the SoCal SE-R list mentioning problems fitting the ST sway bar around the header, though I don't know what ever became of that. Otherwise, a great header.

If you could find someone with a copy of the December '99 issue of SCC, borrow it. It does show dyno charts; if you recall, the car they used for the header test was Chris Pinthong's '93 NX2000.

--Andrew Phan

P.S. Thomas, I have my stock NX seat hiding in the garage waiting for ya. I'll bring it down the next time I find myself in SoCal.

·
8,148 Posts
Subculture said:

Any dyno numbers with that? Also, how is the fit. And any issues with this header?
I'm looking for another headr to replace my crappy Stillen header.
I am curious, why do you call it crappy? I need more insite. do you have a 4-2-1?

·
Registered
92 Posts
AEBS

I have the AEBS headers, I don't think I would recommend these. I have a stock suspension and it still hits things becuase it hangs so low.

The power is great, but they are getting there share of dings.

My 1 1/2 cents

Harp

·
Registered
487 Posts
Re: AEBS

mciin1 said:
I have the AEBS headers, I don't think I would recommend these. I have a stock suspension and it still hits things becuase it hangs so low.

The power is great, but they are getting there share of dings.

My 1 1/2 cents

Harp
That's exactly what i think too about my AEBS. It hangs too low. It seems like more of a race header than a street header. 4-1, hangs low, real loud, lots of power. The finish is top notch though, and the fit is good except you gotta play around with the EGR a bit. Depends on what you want I guess. I have the SCC header shootout somewhere and I remember that the AEBS overall gained more power than the Hotshot, and the power came on sooner. I'm thinking of getting rid of the AEBS and getting the Hotshot just because I'm getting old and I can sacrifice the slight drop in power for a more quiet car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quieter?

Is that why these damn things are loud? because of the brand? I thought all headers sounded like this, sheese. Have you heard Hotshot headers?.

I would be really interested in finding out, I'm not like, old, but damn, hearing the radio would be something.

What cams are you running, S4's?

I had a special port built for my emissions crapola, have this long rubber tube snaking from the front of my engine to just before the header ends due to colorado emissions.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Re: Quieter?

mciin1 said:
Is that why these damn things are loud? because of the brand? I thought all headers sounded like this, sheese. Have you heard Hotshot headers?.

I would be really interested in finding out, I'm not like, old, but damn, hearing the radio would be something.

What cams are you running, S4's?

I had a special port built for my emissions crapola, have this long rubber tube snaking from the front of my engine to just before the header ends due to colorado emissions.
I have heard the Hotshot headers and they sound not too much different than stock. Much better. I guess the 4-2-1 design helps. I was running the S4's, the car sounded pretty mean with them, the AEBS, and my N1 exhaust. Without the cams my car sounds like garbage. The good thing about the Hotshot also is that it's got fittings for all of your original smog equipment, whereas the AEBS only has an egr fitting. Again...its like the AEBS is made purely for racing.

·
Registered
801 Posts
AEBS Header

I've had the AEBS header on my NX for about a year now. The version I got has the EGR fitting and the oxygen sensor fitting. The oxygen sensor fitting is down near the bottom so you will have to extend the wiring from the stock harness.

There is no fitting, unless they've made a change since I got it, for the AIV. When I got my JWT ECU, I had them program it for a post '93 SR20DE which takes into account no AIV.

The location of the header is too low but if you don't lower your car more than an inch and if you are careful over speed bumps and steep driveways, etc. you should be okay. Unfortunately I have hit mine about 3 - 4 times because of not paying attention.

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
AEBS header

"hangs too low" - Agree. It's kinda scary, looking at the thing sticking out from under the car. But after a long, hard day at work, you walk up to your Classic in the parking lot, notice those 2 exposed primaries and all you can think about is"let's hit redline today". Just buy a rechargeable dremel and a can of VHT paint for those RARE times header meets ground. And NEVER underestimate speed bumps and dips.
"too loud", "seems more like a race header" - dudes, it IS a race header. Rev the engine anywhere near young children and grandmothers and they will be startled. You don't buy this thing and expect your daily drive to be the same again; I love listening to the car, at idle, at cruise, or working thru the gears. And it's not too loud to render useless your stereo.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Re: AEBS header

94loport said:
[B"too loud", "seems more like a race header" - dudes, it IS a race header. Rev the engine anywhere near young children and grandmothers and they will be startled. You don't buy this thing and expect your daily drive to be the same again; I love listening to the car, at idle, at cruise, or working thru the gears. And it's not too loud to render useless your stereo. [/B]
LOL! I agree, I thought it was soooo cool when I got it too. But I think I'm getting too old now, my poor ears can't take the noise. Cops pulling me over all the time (still happens to this day) doesn't help either. That's the main reason I'm considering switching to Hotshot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts