SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there will be a lot of opinion on this question, but what type of air intake system and brand do you guys recommend. They claim to yield a 5-8 HP boost. Is that true and can you feel the difference?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've used foam, drop in, K&N cone, open (no filter at all). To me it never seemed to make a difference which was best. All I know is that my gas mileage went way up after I switched to a cone filter.

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
K&N is the best hands down, but even some of the K&N type filters are pretty decent and offer comparable flow and sound.

------------------

1992 NX2000
White
K&N Cone intake, advanced timing 17* Bosal Performance
muffler and 2.25" cat back

·
Registered
487 Posts
I currently run a K&N cone. Not for performance purposes over foam, but simply because it filters better.

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I tested a cone K&N JWT POP short stack intake on the dyno. On an otherwise stock car, it was worth 6 hp @ the wheels (as compared to the stock intake).

YMMV. Especially if your engine bay is heat soaked. If you have an aftermarket exhaust header without a heat shield, it's a good idea to block off the POP intake from the rest of the engine bay with a homemade heat shield.

I hear the foam (like HKS) filters let in more dirt particles into the intake. When they get old, they can chunk, and get sucked into your TB. I'd rather go with K&N for that reason alone.

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just curious, what does the oil do? The filter isn't a K&N, but it is red.

------------------
93 NX2000 auto, advanced timing, Hiper Flow POP filter, new motor mounts, 99k miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts