SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TriniGT
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some searching but I need to know what else I need. This is what I currently have:

SR20DE engine
Swapped Auto to Manual 5sp cable box
Pulsar GTiR injectors (444CC)
Pulsar GTiR ECU
Pulsar GTiR MAF
SR20DET Pistons
Garrett T28 Ballbearing Turbo
SR20 Front Mount Intercooler
Greddy Type S BOV
Nismo FPR
I'm gonna be initially running between 7-10 lbs of boost daily so I need to know what exactly do I need to accomplish this. Do I necessarily have to get the ECU reprogrammed or get a SAFC/Greddy E-Manage? I'm also looking at getting a metal head gasket to further lower the compression ratio. Also I'll be changing my clutch to accommodate the extra HP. What all am I missing and will the DET pistons work with the Pulsar ECU and MAF and the injectors?

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
Why are you swapping in the DET pistons, i say leave the SR20 alone. DIdn't your car come with a SR20 Motor? If so, then just use the GTi-R everything like you stated there. SHould be fine. DOn't forget the motor mounts and exhaust and some gauges to keep track of everything. Also need a larger fuel pump.

BRent

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't forget to upgrade your fuel pump.

Misc of the top of my head...

Oil fead and return lines.
IC piping
Downpipe

I have never heard that a thicker headgasket is a good way to lower your compresion. The DET pistons you have are from the BB det or the GTiR det?

I do not think that you NEED to use anything else but the GTiR ECU so long as you end up with a compression ratio close to the GTiR and have the MAF and have the non-us o2 sensor.

·
TriniGT
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I still have to organize IC piping and the downpipe and oil feed and return lines, but I'm using the DET pistons from the BBDET to decrease my compression ratio to a reasonable level to run about 10lbs boost. I know the stock pistons can take it but I'm still always worried that I may fry them. Also will the Pulsar ECU work with the BBDET pistons although they may be of a little higher compression.

So you'll are saying that I don't need to get an S-AFC/Greddy E-Manage/JWT ECU? If so that is perfect.

One thing I'm still looking for are some good cheap/used gauges, preferably autometer or VDO, anyone gots?

·
TriniGT
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any more thoughts on this?

·
Registered
91 Posts
yaman said:
Any more thoughts on this?
I am not the end all expert on the ECU issue. But I think you will be allright as long as the O2 sensor, the ECU and the MAF are all from the GTiR; and the compression ratio is close. (GTiR is 8.3 and the BB is 8.5, no big deal IIRC).

·
TriniGT
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The O2 sensor you talk of is the one on the manifold? Why can't the one from the regular SR20 engine work?

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
The ultra ghetto way to alter your fuel would be to increase your fuel pressure a bit to compensate for the 8.5 vs. 8.3 compression ratio. Or grab the SAFC or Emanage to do it the proper way :)

Usually, I'd say just go with JWT but that's for people using a DE ecu which has the timing curves programed for 9.5 compression and NA. The GTi-R is already programed with the timing curves for a lower compression turbo motor so it's no big deal.

Khiem

·
Registered
91 Posts
yaman said:
The O2 sensor you talk of is the one on the manifold? Why can't the one from the regular SR20 engine work?
All I know is that for folks who want to use a BB-DET ECU they need to use the BB-DET O2 sensor and I would think the situation would be the same with the GTiR ECU. I can not explain to you differences, I just know they exist. This particular problem caused me some headaches when I tried to use a BB-DET O2 sensor with the JWT ECU. If I still had the O2 sensor I would be glad to let you have it, but I don't. If you do a search for the O2 issue I am sure you will find plenty of discussion. Probably has something to do with electronics... ;).

·
Witness The Power Of AWD!
819 Posts
if you are only going to run 10psi on pump gas its pointless to lower the compression ratio. You will be wasting your money to be honest. IF you are going to change pistons get forged.

·
TriniGT
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got some pistons from a friend's BB-DET for a good price so I'll be using them, as for the boost, how much do think I'll be capable of running without much tuning? Later on probably within the next two months I'll be getting the Greddy E-Manage to help tune my application more but for now how much boos t am I able to run comfortably?

·
Registered
91 Posts
yaman said:
I got some pistons from a friend's BB-DET for a good price so I'll be using them, as for the boost, how much do think I'll be capable of running without much tuning? Later on probably within the next two months I'll be getting the Greddy E-Manage to help tune my application more but for now how much boos t am I able to run comfortably?
Well, assuming everything starts and it runs fine you should be able to fully exploit your stock turbo, what 14psi daily on a GTiR t28? What do need an e-manage for? If all works like stock you should be good to go.

·
TriniGT
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know with the E-Manage you can further tune the engine componenets to get that extra HP. Later on when funds become available I'll be getting some forged pistons but this should be good for now. Is not having oil squirters going to be a problem with running higher boost and what sort of HP levels can Ilook forward to?

·
TriniGT
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
anyone know if not having oil squirters is a big problem and also what HP levels I can expect?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts