SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this question is for all you CAI owners. what did you use to enlarge the hole near the fenderwell in order for the intake to clear? i have heard the stories of people using a dremmel, but i'd rather not if there's an easier solution. i also need to get a smaller battery.. has anyone else had to do the same?

Jon

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
I traced the template on the metal. Then I used a drill to cut small holes close to each other on the template circle. Then I used a hack saw blade to cut through the holes. It takes time, but it looks fairy clean.

-saaby

------------------
Red 99 SE with: CAI, Stillen Front STB, Redline MT90, ES Motor Mounts (4-set)

[This message has been edited by Saaby (edited 04-04-2001).]

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I used a dremel. I'd try the metal bending though. Must less messy. It was my first time using a dremel though, using ski goggles for eye protection.
I also used some tin snips to cut some of the metal. Make sure you line the hole with rubber or something else so your CAI doesn't get scratched. As for the TB, why not do it at the same time. Doesn't take long.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you pull from the bottom with pliers, make sure you have glases on. I did this and there was some metal shavings and dirt up there. It was not fun when that stuff fell in my face. or just make sure it is clean on top.

------------------
The dirty rain falls in funky town
95ser W/s3,place race CAI,header,catback,JWT ECU,short throw,17" shoguns,kyb,pro lines,strut tower, yadda,yadda...

G

·
0 Posts
I used a Craftman Variable speed rotary tool with cutting disks to get the job done. It definitelt took some extra time, but ,hey it fits
I cut my battery tray to make the pipe fit and to keep the stock battery. I cut off the section towards the front that wouls accomodate the "hold down" wire. I have so much **** hanging on the battery, that it's not going to go ANYWHERE! The battery doesn't move, even over dips, so I think I'm OK.

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bump909:
this question is for all you CAI owners. what did you use to enlarge the hole near the fenderwell in order for the intake to clear? i have heard the stories of people using a dremmel
Jon
</font>
Dammit Jordan beat me to it! We both did the same thing. The sheet metal is so weka in that area, you can just pry it back with pliers
But if you want it to look pretty then use a dremel.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
909 Posts
I used a dremmel and also cut the batt. tray. I got some black rubber hose and made a cut down it and put it on the rough metal.

MarC

·
Registered
705 Posts
Jon, might as well clean the throttle body. Its easy, dotn have to take it out, unless you want to get it really really clean
Just buy tb cleaner, and find an old toothbrush or somethi simliar, spray it on the brush, and in the tb and start scrubbin, till there isnt so muc black **** comin off on the brush. nothin to it. FYI, the car might have trouble statrting back up at first and/or may have a shitty idle, cuz of the tb cleaner in the engine, but once you start it, drive it around the block really hard to clean it out

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
MUHAHAH!!!!! I've been waiting for this subject to come up for a long time.

Hehehe. I used PLIERS. It's easy. Remove the splash shield and all, lay under the car and pry the metal down and out. The metal bends alot easier than you think. I have done this for CAI installs on a '93 XE, my 91 SE-R, and my 98 SE. It was fun, and easy. It should take like 15-20 minutes till you get the hole big enough. Get some big strong gripped pliers for the job.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.1 @ 90mph at Englishtown, NJ - 14's oh so close

·
Registered
254 Posts
Used a Dremel with the Flex attachment and cutting wheel. Traced the OD of the CAI pipe on thin cardboard, cut it out, then traced onto the inner fender. Took a little extra time, but the hole, with protective nail polish and clear door guard, is a perfect, snug fit.

CB

·
Registered
756 Posts
I used a jig saw at first.. didnt work that great but it made a hole. I traced out the template that i got from place racing, but it didnt work. So I got tin snips and butchered it. The whole is big now. Just make sure you dont have the pipe against any metal, it'll saw a groove in it, and/or eventually a hole in the pipe. My battery is also too large, but I moved it enough in the tray for it to barely fit.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool, thanks for the advice. did you guys clean out the throttle body while you were at it? i know there's a write up on se-r.net, but i more of a visual person.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts