SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horn has been sounding pretty anemic lately(japanese cars have pretty pitiful horns anyway, IMHO), and I figure I need to upgrade as the horn sounds like it's on it's last legs. What have people put in their Classics for upgrades? I was looking at a 135db "import replacement" horn in JC whitney that is just about the same size as the Classic's stock horn. What is the difference between a high- and low-tone horn? Can someone give me an example of each, if possible? Also, anyone have those 12V Hella air horns installed in their Classic? How do they sound?

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
yeah, man i have the air horns, they sound really funny, but very loud!!

------------------
93 SE-R with 91 SR20DE. When you're driving an SE-R, you're living. Everything else is just waiting.

Thinkin of suspension....

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have the Hella Dual Air Horn set. I have had three sets so far and they are great. Try this out...Open your hood have your buddy check the radiator or something, run in the car and blow that horn.. The look on their face is priceless. But it sucks when it backfires and they catch you while you are down there..hehehe

------------------
Peter
97 200SX SE-R
PR CAI,JWT ECU,91 CAM,
KYB AGX,EIBACH SPORTLINE,
FSTB, X-DRILLED ROTORS,

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
It's worse when they jump the wires from the horn switch to the headlights!! turn the lights on, constant horns!!!

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Stock horns. They sound pretty wimpy. I just yell and cuss and make hand gestures when people piss me off, so that makes up for it.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm...So I should get a P.A. system Slow?
How hard were those Hellas to hook up? Nad what do you mean "they sound funny"? You mean like there should be a 80-year old man driving the car funny or HOLY **** THAT'S LOUD funny?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny as in it sounds kind of like you are driving a clown car.

If you want people to burst our laughing when they hear your horn, the hella air horns are for you.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
I know a few people on the list put a frontier horn in there. Plugs straight up and has a little different sound. I think Im going to eventualy get a set of air horns, wish they came with the trucker sound. And a pull chain from the roof too would be cool
But I figure I will eventualy get around to that, like every thing else on my car.

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I have the Frontier horn in my car. It's ok, but nothing special. However, it's a little louder and deeper than stock, and it was about $20 Canadian, which is pretty cheap.

I have a set of air horns in the garage, waiting to be installed.

Then I'm going to take the Frontier horn and put it in my dad's '95 240sx. It has a *seriously* wimpy horn, worse than any SR20DE car I've been in. It's a really inoffensive, silly sounding "meep meep"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just find it's really hard to get across how irate you are with another driver when all they hear is a cartoonish "Beep Beep"-It would be cool if this horn was in a 1969 Dodge Roadrunner, but otherwise......

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have the wolo dual air horn set for 35 bucks loud especially with the horns behind the grill. they also make a dual metal chromed out dual set for 15 bucks more which are a little louder sound better than the hellas IMHO.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Doug! I guess that answers my question. I guess I'm going to go with the 130db replacement "disk" horn. Any other suggestions on good places to pick up horns?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah....Where Do you get those? Can we have a phone# or Address for that Company??

·
Registered
858 Posts
any big aut parts store like autozone, pepboys and strauss stores sell them. their in a red package. every one out here uses them plus they sell seperate pieces lke if your compressor goes bad they sell just the compressor seperately also.but assk for the metal chromed out horn set louder and look nice. just spay wd40 lubricant in the compressor nozzle every couple of months and it should last a long time.I've had the same pair for 5 years!

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does it sound when you hit you horn on the sterring wheel or will there be another button mounted somewhere else?

MarC

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, good question Marc, and also-What do you mean by Compressor? Is this a 12V hook up, or do I need a separate power feed from the battery or something?

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
Those Hella air horns are very similar to what Ferrari uses, lol...

You could pick up generic replacement horn for a porsche (late model 911). Loud as hell and they sound kinda neat..no clown horns :) They run about 30-40 for most of what you need IF its generic....

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Registered
858 Posts
you hook it up to your existing horn or seperate switch. just disconnect your beep beep road runner one . I have mine seperate so I can use the stocker at night so I won't wake my buddies whole block up with the wolo air horns! took about an hour for me to do. I want to get the metal ones now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts