SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man, here I go again. Why does my car run like a bat out of hell sometimes and run like a civic sometimes? Tonight for example it is somewhat warm, kind of overcast and my car is running GREAT!!!!!! on the other hand, I have run my car on similar nights and not run worth anything. am I just smoking crack and it runs the same most of the time except for big temp changes? do other members have the same problem? I mean there is a pretty big diffrence, like I gained about 5-7 hp at the wheels, feels like I put in another POP or muffler or something. I don't know, I just wish it would run like this all of the time, its nights like tonight where I actually would not mind racing somebody, instead of someone messing with me, pissing me off and them getting burned anyway :)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Could keep an eye on the humidity. That can kill power too. Or maybe you sleepwalk every so often and set your timing down to 13 degress and then back up other nights when you sleepwalk? :)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know :) the humidity is pretty high today also, and is running pretty good humidity is 62%, dewpoint is 62 degrees, it is 76 degrees and mostly cloudy and about to rain. oh well, just something to think about, I hope the NOS will help :)

·
_______
3,640 Posts
I get that sometimes also. My thoughts were the ecu was retarding the timming for humidity. It cant be temp because sometimes it run better when its warmer? Who knows... How much can the ecu retard the timming anyhow?..

Mike G. saving the $400 bux for the tranny install :)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it retards it alot actually, probably down 2-3 degrees, but for humidity? and I know it retards it alot for the knock sensor, if it is advanced too much, or you have some bad gas in your car. I don't know either, I guess some things are better left unknown. oh, and Mike, your stuff went out today, it should be there in a few days :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just a consideration......we know cold air is better for performance as it is more dense(more catalyst for the fuel) and ever-so-slightly ups compression. Theoretically, the same holds true for higher humidity - as water is more dense than "air", the compression goes up. With the "extra" water displacing some of the oxygen, the mixture runs more rich, allowing the slightly higher compression to remain detonation-free. As I said, just a consideration......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts