SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
nissanoholic said:
my friend forgot to torque spec the flywheel bolts on his car. is this super bad? what will happen to my buddy's car?

I can think of three things.
1)not tight enough **** start to vibrate out ,not good.
2)got them tight and nothing.
3)too tight **** breaks under pressure, not good either.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
nissanoholic said:
my friend forgot to torque spec the flywheel bolts on his car. is this super bad? what will happen to my buddy's car?
THey will loosen up, you'll get a strange hard-to-locate rattling sound that doesn't happen all the time, then the centerhole on the flywheel will be ruined, you'll have a hell of a time getting the flywheel off, then you'll need a new flywheel.

·
love the Florida sun!!
1,906 Posts
You dont wanna know....what does the FSM say? I think like from 65-75 ft/lbs isnt it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Iv'e changed prob. ten clutches in all kindes of cars and never used a torqe wrench to put the flywheel on after having them cut. Even in my nx with a stage two clutch which takes alot of abuse at times. Depends on who you ask I guess.

·
Whut?That Ain't No Hondah
2,558 Posts
R0b_ said:
ask Crim... sold his engine and got a DE cause he overtorqued a few

The guy who bought his old DET (George) had to have the bolt removed and re-tapped for a larger size all around.
Yeah no joke! thats an expensive mistake!! Ruin'd my DET!

Torq wrench is your friend. ALWAYS Torq to spec! Don't risk alot of money over being lazy.

Atleast george was able to get the DET motor fixed, gonna make me jealous if he ever gets a bigger turbo tho :D

EDIT: Nah, i UNDER torqed a few. well actaully, I over torqed one, and strip'd it out. Being lazy, I figured it'd be ok to run the car without that bolt. You know, to hell with keeping spinning objects in balance at 7500 rpm. I think It made it a week before the flywheel bolts backed out and destroyed the crank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts