SR20 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
WASHED UP
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can some on help me looking for one of the biggest and fastest spooling one?? and also at what rpm will i get boost at??
want about 300-400 hp daily driven already have b.b det

G

·
The following turbo will support 400 whp at about 21-22 psi with 3" exhaust and S3 cams:

T3/T04E hybrid, ball bearing turbo

76 trim T31 turbine wheel (stage 3) with 0.82 A/R housing

50 trim T04E compressor wheel with 0.50 A/R compressor housing

water cooled center section

Extrude hone your turbine housing. This will net a few points worth of turbine efficiency, thus yielding a little more power and about 500 RPM quicker spool up.

If you want less lag, you can opt for the 0.63 A/R turbine housing, but you will lose about 80 whp at 20 psi.

If this is not enough for you, you can go with a Stage 5 turbo, which uses a 0.82 A/R turbine housing with an even larger turbine wheel, compressor wheel, and 0.60 A/R compressor housing. This will turbo will support well over 500 whp, but will have more lag than the Stage 3 described above.

If you want the specs for the Stage 5, let me know and I will post them.

Good luck,

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R
GTi-R powered with F-MAX kit

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here ya go dawg, for the street, I would run a T3/T04E hybrid, if you want really fast spool up, you can run a ballbearing center section, but it will cost you! Use these specs:
50 trim compresor wheel in the TO4E housing,
76 trim turbine wheel in a .82 A/R T3 housing.

This should spool at low 4000 RPMs, and about 500-600 RPM earlier with the BB center section.

G

·
By the way, with an F-MAX manifold, FMIC, 3" exhaust, and JWT cams, there is a quick rule of thumb for calculating how much power is made at certain boost levels.

With this setup, it seems that the power increase rises almost linearly with boost pressure increases. Having looked at the dyno results of several SR20DEs with the above setup, the average hp gain per psi of boost is right around 13 hp/psi extra.

For example, a stock SR20DE puts down about 120 hp to the wheels. Install the above setup and turn up the boost to 10 psi.

10 x 13 = 130 hp extra
130 + 120 = 250 hp to the wheels, which is right about how much an F-MAX equipped SR20DE makes.

At 15 psi, you get about 315 hp to the wheels.

And, at 20 psi, you get about 380 to the wheels.

Remember, this is with the above setup and the turbo I spec'd above also. This is to be used *only as a guide* and may be different for different cars in different states of tune.

Variables may include:

headwork, lightweight flywheel, open exhaust, divorced wastgate to atmosphere, high powered ignition, etc...

Rememberm, this is just a rule of thumb, but it will get you in the ballpark at least.

I plan to plot my dyno results as a function of hp vs. boost pressure to see how linear it is on my GTi-R motor. I am thinking that the specific output of the GTi-R head will be greater than the SR20DE's, but I will just have to wait and see.

Good luck,

------------------
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL
1996 200SX SE-R
GTi-R powered with F-MAX kit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts