SR20 Forum banner

what should I do next

1K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Jester 
#1 ·
I have a popcharger, exhuast and thinking about header next. would should i do after that for good power gains.. money is a issue.. thanks
Daniel Roberts

#2 ·
se-r.net

after you read the entire web page, you should be able to answer your questions. if not, use the search function on this site.

theres a bunch of good topics going on right now about new products, and existing stuff. read it.

#5 ·
pace setter header then go with ur 2 piece 189.00 at courtesy nissian talk to brian he is the only one who will give u the 189 deal.bump timing to 17 degrees 5 whp for free.remove a 100 pounds u will pick up a tenth at an 1/8 mile.remove a/c it helped my car wonders 6 bucks for smalle3r belt.searching sucks man dont listen to that crap i like fresh answers

#7 ·
5 whp from timing? I didnt feel much of a differance at all....I doubt we could make 5 whp from bumping it to 17....

Other than that, your plan sounds the best. The 5 whp just sounds a bit high....

#9 ·
I'd get a 91-93 Intake cam and find a Stillen 4-1 header cheap in the classifieds - you'll have a great powerband for fun times :D

#11 ·
Maybe I Over Did It A Little By Saying 5 Hp But I Felt A Big Difference Especially If Its The First Thing U Do To A Stock Ser.but Dont Forget U Have To Run At Least 91 Octane.oh Yeah When U Get Your Header Come Off The Cat And Unbolt The Back Side Of The Exhaust It Will Save 20 Pounds And Its Like Having A 2.25 Inch Exhaust Because Thats The Size Of The Flange Coming Off The Cat.that Will Help Your Top End Leaps And Bounds.

#13 ·
jdrobert said:
I have a popcharger, exhuast and thinking about header next. would should i do after that for good power gains.. money is a issue.. thanks
Daniel Roberts

Just like everyone else said, the 91 cam. Buy from SE-Rawkus, he is a great seller. :)

I put one in last weekend and can't believe what a power difference it makes. :)

#15 ·
sr20andafalcon said:
bump timing to 17 degrees 5 whp for free.
i like how so many people on this forum say this, it's not free if you don't have a timing light lying around your house. Plan on spending at least $30 bucks for a decent timing light. At least you won't have to depend on a shop to adjust your timing for $50+ when you finally know how to do it yourself

#16 ·
worldcrafter said:
i like how so many people on this forum say this, it's not free if you don't have a timing light lying around your house. Plan on spending at least $30 bucks for a decent timing light. At least you won't have to depend on a shop to adjust your timing for $50+ when you finally know how to do it yourself

Its free if you go to a meet and have someone do it for you :D. I've herd alot of people doing it that way...

Save your money. With the new s5 cams out and the Gen6 Hotshot coming, watch the classifieds. I see many Gen5 Hotshots and s4 cams going up for sale very soon :D. A Stillen header is gravy, too. It won't crack like the Hotshot. People sell those for alot cheaper, too. If your really worried about cost, just keep watching the classifieds. Don't buy cheap crap like a pacesetter. If your patient you can get a better header for the same price or just a little more.

Timing also isn't a really free mod. Premium gas costs more than reg. 17degrees you should be fine. 19...pay up. $$BLING$$

#18 ·
Storm88000 said:
Did you seriously pay $50 for that? :eek: Adjusting the timing is so easy.
no, I just bought a tune-up kit at a local auto store and did it myself. I've never used a timing light prior to adjusting my timing, so that goes to say that it is easy to do it. I'd expect shops to charge at least that much for timing adjustment, since ignition timing would probably be the most important tune-up step that a shop could do for you.

#21 ·
Storm88000 said:
I dunno, I put my timing at 19 and I felt quite a difference.
The gains depend on what the timing was set at before you adjust it. In my SER, the timing was set to a whopping 12 and I noticed a real jump when I set it to 19. On the other hand the SE was already at 16 and I didn't notice too much of a gain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.