SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, most likely next months I'll be getting AGX's and GC's. I'm just wondering if there are any little things I should get now as well. For instance, KYB has strut mounts. I know I need new boots (mine are shredded). Would I save alot of time later if I did bushings now? Keep in mind that this is my first real work I'm doing on my car, so be specific =). TIA.

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
ok well heres the deal, G/C are fine and good but they are not specifically designed for our cars so they rattle and require grinding the lip on the strut which runs the risk of ruining from the heat. Not to mention you have voided the warranty by grinding on it. Unless you have something stiffer in mind I would suggest you look into the high rate oem type spring deal before you decide on the ground controls. these oem type springs will not void your warranty and are much easier to install. im hoping this deal goes through since i already have agxs and i need something to compliment them now.

as for small bits, new boots as you said, the thrust bearings in the front, a new gasket for each strut that you can make from gasket paper that goes between the chassis and the strut top. also, you will have to make your own call on the spring seats when you get everything apart.... that should cover you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black93 said:
ok well heres the deal, G/C are fine and good but they are not specifically designed for our cars so they rattle and require grinding the lip on the strut which runs the risk of ruining from the heat. Not to mention you have voided the warranty by grinding on it.
Well, I'm mostly looking at the future choice of spring rates if I do want to go stiffer. Also, GC offers a package with AGX's and GC's. It's a bit more than the best prices separately, buut I'm assuming the warranty would then be intact. I'm still looking and learning though =).

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
well if your getting ground controls then i think 350/300 is good. alot of people get 300/200 and i personally think that is not stiff enough. for reference on what that does for balance... Dave coleman has 300/225 on the SCC se-r and reports that the car is very loose. I rode in 350/300 car and i thought it felt fine for the street altough there were no potholes. much higher spring rate than that and you will start challenging the agxs dampening abilities.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I just got 350/300 ground controls put on. I'm getting an alignment and then autocrossing it on Sunday. I'll post back with feedback. The struts are AGXs.

As far as extras, you might want to buy new bumpstops, I got new Koni ones and they're supposed to be so nice you can barely tell if you hit them. If this is the first time you've worked on your car I would stay away from bushings because they are a major PIA. Or just pay someone to do it/host a geekout.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scarpa said:
Or just pay someone to do it/host a geekout.
I'd love to host a geekout, but I don't think there are many people close to me. Also, I live on a dirt road and I bet more than a few people wouldn't want to drive here =). BTW: if there is anyone near SW VA that feels like wrenching, I'll buy beer!

·
LoSe-R
908 Posts
actually i think you are in a good spot... i know of a few northern north carolina monkeys and even a few chiquita eaters in virginia :D whether those people will go to your house remains to be seen but you can prob meet someone at a convenient location. your just a tad bit to far away for me so i cant volunteer my busted knuckles.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Black93 said:
well if your getting ground controls then i think 350/300 is good. alot of people get 300/200 and i personally think that is not stiff enough. for reference on what that does for balance... Dave coleman has 300/225 on the SCC se-r and reports that the car is very loose. I rode in 350/300 car and i thought it felt fine for the street altough there were no potholes. much higher spring rate than that and you will start challenging the agxs dampening abilities.

I am looking to upgrade my tocrapos/eibach set up with the GC/AGX setup/. I was going it to get the 300/225, but now you got me thinking. Can the AGXs handle a 350/300 setup? I will probably do about 7-10 auto-xs and road race once or twice. I live in pothole ridden NY, although I dont really drive the car all that much.

ANy advise appreciated!

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts