SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I'm posting to this forum because I think it kinda has a little to do with throwing the DET into my car. Anyways... back to my topic... I'm running 15's right now with 195/50/15 cheapy Big-O tires. I'm planning on getting new rims for my car but should I get 16's or 17's or should I just stick with the 15's? I guess I'm posting to this forum because I wanted to know if the bigger sized rims aided in traction and putting all of that power to the ground. Also will the NX brake upgrade be sufficient on stopping the car or should I save up and get the SMC BABK? Okay enough babbling so...

Mel

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Don't worry about babbling on about your future turbo, it's about the most fun thing us future turbo owners can do before installing the puppy

If you get bigger rims you will want to get shorter profile tires to maintain your overall tire height so your speedo will read close to correct. The bigger rims WILL bring more mass to the outside of the wheel creating the need for more torque to accelerate the wheel at the same rate. If you are having troubles with traction on the street 17's will help a bit just by creating additional rotating mass, but not necessarily more traction.

AFAIK, the NX brake upgrade should be sufficient on the street and plenty ok for the occasional track session. You really only *need* the SMC BABK if you plan on a lot of track time, or just have extra cash laying around that you refuse to give to poor college students like yours truly

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, how do you plan to drive your car: daily driver/autox/racing/? What type of roads do you drive on everyday? Which weighs more heavily - aesthetic or performance?

Perhaps some of the guys running really sticky 15's can give their opinions of the difference between the RSA's and their new rubber. The same with guys running 16/17's. If you look at the SCC 200SX SE-R(and other "small", true race cars), you will see that they (typically) run 15's when ultimate performance is desired.

I would like to hear what tires/wheels yall are running, too. Been thinking about going to a lighter 15" wheel when the RSA's finally give up the ghost. (Mmmm, 7lb Racing Hart CP035's with sticky (Brand X) 205/50/15's......yummy).

G

·
2 nuggets of advise:

DO NOT buy the firestone firehaws that come standard on the new sentra. biggest turd of a tire i've ever had the displeasure of using.

also, i remember a year or so back, SCC did a write up on wheel sizes and performance. the best size tire, they said, was a 15X7 for all around performance, traction and rotating mass.

you could also go with a 16" lightweight rim, like volk racing or racing harts. just a thought. i believe konig villians are like 14-16 lbs each also. that's what i'm looking to get when i get some money.

the BABK will fit in 15" rims, but i don't believe they will fit on 14's. maybe look at the bridgestone potenza re730's for tires. spose to be fairly sticky with a treadwear of 300. they are Z rated and come in 60, 55, 50, 45, 40 and 35 size tires. they were rated higher than the dunlop sp sport 8000, yokahama avs and comp t/a zr.

[Edited by 2000SE (09-12-2000 at 10:02 AM).]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its mostly for street/daily driving and maybe quarter mile. I was thinking about getting 16's but not sure.

Mel

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
My opinions on B13 brake upgrade vs. BABK...
IMO, there is no such thing as too much brakes. This is even more true when you double your horsepower. I believe that if you get a basic turbo kit, like the Stage 1 FMAX or the Hotshot kit, the NX brakes will be sufficient in most cases, assuming you have good pads for them and you get the steel braided lines and good brake fluid like Motul 600. However, the BABK is better.... WAY better. When you put a turbo kit on your car, one of the first things that you'll notice is that in the time it used to take you to get to 80 MPH, you're now doing 130. It's my personal belief that when you increase the HP by that amount, the NX brakes are no longer sufficient for the types of situations you're going to encounter.

This is purely my opinion, some people disagree with me. I do think, as I said, that the NX brakes are sufficient in most cases... but it's that one time where you go to 80 instead of 60 and you didn't realize it, and then you have to slow down REALLY fast. The BABK is a big ol' security blanket. It performs much better at very high speeds, and the kicker is that the BABK won't fade.

So... I'm not going to tell you not to get the NX brakes, because they do work, especially with the upgrades I mentioned. I recommend the BABK for those special occasions when you need massive braking power, which is something that can happen much more often when you have a turbo. This is the reason I bought the BABK, even before I had the turbo... because I knew I would need the BABK eventually. It actually is sort of overkill on the street in an NA car, but it's great for racing, and for any turbo application.

And on the topic of tires/wheels... If you're going turbo, do yourself a favor and get at least 16" wheels. 17s, if you can fit them. Turbo SE-Rs tend to really outpower their stock wheels/tires. I don't know if you have a B13 or a B14, but the B13s won't fit more than a 16" in the rear. The B14 will do 17s though. You want as much traction and surface area as you can get, so... the bigger the better.

Also, the BABK will not fit under 95-98% of 15" wheels. The only ones I personally know of that will actually go over the BABK is the Volk TE-37. You shouldn't have a problem with most 16" wheels.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a B13. How much does the BABK run? I never bothered to check on the prices. I guess I'm getting 16's then.

Mel

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Last I checked the BABK was running $1350 or so. The good thing is that includes everything you could possibly need, like rotors, calipers, brake pads, steel lines, custom mounting brackets, all clips, clamps, nuts, bolts and everything. It's an extremely complete kit. The bad news is the price, and the fact that it's only the fronts. But if you can afford it, there are no downsides to this kit. It's lighter than the stock brakes, the brake pads cost half as much as they do for stock or NX brakes, they stay cool because of the huge rotor surface, it's super easy to swap brake pads... etc.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do I really need to worry about braking power with my stock brakes if I'll only be running stock boost for a while? I do plan on getting the SMC since I don't really like double spending on stuff. Do it right the first time(or as freaking close as you could possibly get), right?

Mel

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Well, here's the thing. I was also running at stock boost (6.5 PSI) with my DET, and I didn't think the stock brakes were good enough... and I had an NX, with the NX brakes. That's me though, I like overkill with braking power. I think you can get away with stock brakes assuming you get good pads, fluid and the stainless steel lines from SMC, and as long as you're really careful. You just have to be aware that even at only 7 PSI you're capable of hitting 150 MPH, and 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. This is a huge difference, and you'll find yourself going much faster than you think you are at first, that's when you have to be really careful.

That's all it is really, it's a matter of perception. It's not like you can't go 120 MPH in a stock SE-R, and 120 MPH is 120 MPH whether you have a turbo or not... the difference is in how fast you get there and misjudging the distances between your car and another car, or a stop sign, or something like that. The BABK can compensate for some errors in judgement just because they're so beaucoup.

Believe me, it's a lot easier than you might think to literally look down and feel your hair stand on end when you realize you're going 30 MPH faster than you thought you were, simply because you're not used to your car getting to that particular speed so quickly.

So, to answer your question a bit more simply, your stock brakes should be fine assuming you do the good pads, lines and fluid. But you need to be careful and excercise good judgement, especially in the first few months of driving around with a turbo, at least until you really get used to it.

Er... hope that doesn't cause more confusion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts