SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is the Bluebird manifold, a NISMO manifold, and I believe a Pulsar GTI-R has a bit different one from the Bluebird? Also I believe Hotshot and FMAX have their own custom manifolds.

Now I've heard the FMAX one is really good, but how do they compare to the others? Does the stock Bluebird one suck? How much hp increase would one expect by upgrading the manifold?

·
_______
3,640 Posts
If you were to upgrade the manifold(F-max or HS)you would have to upgrade the turbo. That is just opening a whole can of worms! Why bother buying the BB manifold if you want to do that?

Now the GTi-R manifold AFAIK is just a bit diffrent than the BB... the runners are diffrent length or somthing like that.

Another thing reading through the arcives led me to believe the t28 is just a t25 with the exhaust housing ported and it has a diffrent compressor wheel... Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also led to believe the GTI-R t28 will bolt up to the BB manifold.

My plans are to have the porting done and upgrade the wheel(s?) to t28 spec. I was going to give JWT a call and ask what they can do.

Mike

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
your best bet to keep it simple would be to either a)do some porting on the manifold b)leave it alone c)get it extrude hones d)upgrade e)just give the whole thing to me :)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the info, Mike. Didn't know that F-max and/or HS manifolds were so different. That's sorta what I was asking but maybe didn't word it that way.

So maybe the manifold is fine and I shouldn't worry about it?

When you find out how to make your T25 a T28 PLEASE PLEASE let us know. In the archives they tell you what the exact differences are, but tell you ZERO how to do it. On the list Rob Cadle suggested the book Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. I'm gonna get to the bookstore ASAP and take a look at it. You can just go to Amazon.com and search for Maximum Boost and it comes right up- it's $34.95 from amazon.

Stupid question- isn't porting basically smoothing the internal surfaces? Can't a dremel just do this?

I would like to just keep and upgrade my T25. Don't really feel the need for 300+ hp from my FWD econobox. 275 will be ok :)

To keep the turbo temps down, I think Swain coats the externals if not internals of the turbo. Yeah they do, here's info from their web site:

Turbo Charger Housing: $75-$100
Collectors, Turbo Tubing, Odd Lengths: Quote

That would probably do quite a bit to keep the heat going where it should.

Yeah, brian, I'll consider idea E.

(considers)

Ok I'm done. Nope :)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, porting does consist of smoothing it out, but also making the exhaust ports larger, giving the engine less backpressure and turbo spooling up faster. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts