SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make a decision here, I race during the summers at places like the minnesota highway safety center in st. cloud, MN and Brainerd International Raceway. I need to figure out what's best to modify to get some better lap times. Currently I run B&G springs with KYB GR-2 struts(which I think are too soft) with a SE-R VLSD tranny and last year I was using AVSES100s. I've been thinking to upgrade to AGX's, get some Azenis(maybe up size to 16's?), some
other LSD (nismo is tempting), maybe phantom grip. I'm wondering what will help the most, 16's with azenis and AGX's, or keep the stock 14's and put on Azenis and get the nismo diff?? I just feel that the GR-2's aren't enough, the ES100s were too soft a sidewall, and the VLSD is wearing out. TIA

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also one thing that will be added regardless is front upper/lower tie bars and rear sway bar.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was going to mention sway bars but since you just did.

I would say 2 things.

First : Tires
Second : Dampers

Going to R compound is best, but if this is a street/track setup, then go Azenis. If I had a G20, Id upgrade to at least 15 to run the 205/50/15's.

Second, upgrading to AGX dampers is a great idea. But if your GR-2's are still good, I'd put my money on some 15" lightweight rims (Rota's) and some 205/50/15 Falken Azenis tires.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
R compounds would be nice, but they're real expensive. Tires are in the mix regardless, but do you think bigger wheels and tires with better dampers would help more than stock wheels with Azenis and a Nismo LSD? Btw my GR-2's are still in good condition, prob only 20K on them.

Edit: anyone know if 215/45/16 will fit on a G20 with +45 offset wheels?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
15" wheels w/Azenis and AGX's are the first things you should do.

Then do swaybars. If you reduce body roll and add more grip you'll end up using the LSD less.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cliffgump said:
R compounds would be nice, but they're real expensive. Tires are in the mix regardless, but do you think bigger wheels and tires with better dampers would help more than stock wheels with Azenis and a Nismo LSD? Btw my GR-2's are still in good condition, prob only 20K on them.
Im not a G20 expert, but I would think dampers and falken Azenis would make a good difference.

On 14's you can only get 195's, on the 15's you can get the 205's. The diameter isnt much different, .1 inch, but the width is.

I would expect the G20 to require bigger than 14" wheels for good handling.

My B15 boat is great on 16", but on 15"s... I wouldnt like it.

Anyways, Dampening and tires before LSD (that I will stand by :D )

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies! Now i can save a bit of money too :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts