SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
its stock ;)
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a 200sx se-r in the spring and was wondering what i would have to do to it to be able to race in the scca, I tyred searching there site but came up with nothing, also i was wondering if you guys could give me some sugestions on tires.

·
Poor ass college kid
69 Posts
Depends what type of racing.
autocross you can do completely stock.
I dont know about their other sanctioned events

tires depend a lot on what event also.

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
Yeah, you have to be more specific.

If you want to do Showroom Stock or Improved Touring, we (NISsport) can help you with what you can, should, and MUST do.

For autocross, there should be a bunch of folks who can guide you there.

If you're just talking about Driver Education events (DE) aka track events, then it all up to you.

·
its stock ;)
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't plan on leaving the car stock, but want to be able to run with the other the other cars. what would HAVE the be done to run in the improved touring. I have never done any racing before where do you think would be a good place to start, i am also on a budget.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You should start with some AutoXing and learn car control before you go crazy modding your car and heading out on a track not knowing how to drive.

·
Ironman
1,820 Posts
byronchrisp05 said:
I don't plan on leaving the car stock, but want to be able to run with the other the other cars. what would HAVE the be done to run in the improved touring. I have never done any racing before where do you think would be a good place to start, i am also on a budget.
Sounds like you're building a car for the track, but no specifically for racing. If you are thinking about racing, you need to get a GCR (General Competition Rules & Category Specs) from the SCCA. IT rules are limiting and it's really easy to do mods that would not be legal in IT.

For IT, the minimum you will need to do is install a cage, race seat, belts, window net, and master cut-off switch.

You should get a header, POP Charger, ECU, Koni dampers with GC coilovers, ES bushings (spherical bearings would be better), Progress rear swaybar, strip the interior except for the dash and what's behind it. Remove the AC.

There is a lot more you can do, but that's a good start.

·
its stock ;)
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anybody know where i can find a list of all the different types of autoxing, and there requirements.

·
SE-R On A Budget
97 Posts
If you want to start autoxing, honestly I would leave the car stock, and get a good set of R Compound tires. The Kumho ecsta V700 is probably your best bang for the buck, but you'll need another set of tires for the street with any R Compound. As a novice autocrosser, seat time will do you more good than any mods to the car.
If this car is your daily driver and you want to do mods for looks/street performance, you probably want to set your car up for STS class. There, you are required to run street tires (The Falken Azenis is the tire of choice), and you can do all of the "normal" bolt on mods. Springs, shocks, intake, header, exhaust, swaybars, strutbars, bushings, etc. The class was pretty much created to give all the "import tuner" guys (and gals) a class to run in without being an a Street Prepared category which allows much more mods.

check http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/street_touring.html

·
its stock ;)
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow, thanks a lot that is exactly what i want to do. I have never raced so i will need a lot of seat time, but i think it will be fun.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
bystandard - thanks for the info, my girl and I want to start this season some time!

·
Gettin' Old and Whipped
571 Posts
wkndracr said:
If you want to start autoxing, honestly I would leave the car stock, and get a good set of R Compound tires. The Kumho ecsta V700 is probably your best bang for the buck, but you'll need another set of tires for the street with any R Compound.
check http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/street_touring.html
I think all the experienced auto-xer's will recommend that you run several events (maybe even a season) on street tires, before going to an R compound. This will make you much smoother and teach you much more about managing weight transfer. Then you will be much more competitive when you are ready for serious tires/mods.

Just my 2 cents.

-Kelly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts