SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not necesarally in my NX2000, although that would be an option. I would just like to get into racing of any kind. Anything that involves lots of turns.... Where should I start looking?

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lyn Labahn:
Are you in college?

I am involved in the Formula SAE team here at UW-Madison, it has been fantastic thus far. As a member of the team, you get to design, work on, and best of all, drive the race car! I drove today, and let me tell you, I am still shaking and it was about 3 hours ago that I drove!
</font>

Which formula is that?
All Wazzu does here w/SAE is the Baja Buggie thing... that happening at your school?
I am getting involved with that and it is fun... so far =)

david lau

·
Registered
263 Posts
Its just the formula SAE racer as far as I know. We also do the baja buggie and the future truck hybrid vehical. The buggie is cool..... but its nothing like the racer! We run a fully preped motorcycle engine in a ultra lightweight chassis. Its scary fast... 0-60 in less than 3.5 seconds fast. It rolls about an inch off the ground, so the handling is unbelievable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here at fresno state we have done both. I was more interested in the baja but the formula car is exhilerating. It faster then any car i've ever driven and handles better and the fact that you make it is better then anything. We'll be in michigan this year since funding kept us from traveling last year

·
Registered
174 Posts
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine had a very good article for the beginning road racer in the last two months issues. You might also check out their website: www.grmotorsports.com/

The magazine and website is a great resource for the amateur racer.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
The Atlanta Region Sports Car Club of America is one place to try:
http://www.atl-scca.org/

Autocross (Solo II) is the quickest way to get into sanctioned competition. Though far removed from racing on a road course, it's a great learning experience for basic car control.

Start talking to locals, and you'll get a better idea of where you want to go and what it will take. Autocrosses are one place you can talk to people familiar with amateur racing of all types.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Are you in college?

I am involved in the Formula SAE team here at UW-Madison, it has been fantastic thus far. As a member of the team, you get to design, work on, and best of all, drive the race car! I drove today, and let me tell you, I am still shaking and it was about 3 hours ago that I drove!

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
1)Auto-x with the Atlata region SCCA.
2)Do a driving school at Road Atlanta with Panoz or BMWCCA.

You'll lean more about driving with those two things than you will after 50 years of driving on the street.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
98 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JimR:

Autocross (Solo II) is the quickest way to get into sanctioned competition. Though far removed from racing on a road course, it's a great learning experience for basic car control.

Start talking to locals, and you'll get a better idea of where you want to go and what it will take. Autocrosses are one place you can talk to people familiar with amateur racing of all types.[/B]</font>
autocross does more than give you learning experience for car control.. car control and learning your line is far more important in autocross than in full-scale road racing. the evidence suggesting this is that good autocrossers usually make good road racers. good roadracers do not always make good autocrossers.

learning to autocross will teach you the line & control skills that can make you a successful road racer.

in the glen region of NY (where i sometimes auto-x) one of the guys there autocrosses, but is also a road racing instructor. he considers road racing at watkins glen (not an easy track) relaxing.

with autocross its busy.. in the time you spend on 1 straight on a road course.. you can go through 3 or 4 corners or more in an autocross course.

------------------
Shawn
-----
current car(s):
1989 Acura Integra LS
1997 200SX SE-R
1973 Super Beetle

Next car:
AE86 Corolla GT-S or
S14 Nissan 240SX (16V DOHC, not 12V SOHC)

·
Registered
487 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shadowboy:
the evidence suggesting this is that good autocrossers usually make good road racers. good roadracers do not always make good autocrossers.

</font>
Agreed. This is a very common consensus, most people in other forms of racing STILL autox. And its not just a lesson in car control. Many people think of autox as a learning tool, but it IS a real competition!

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
BTW, be prepared to spend some money. Autocrossing can be done relatively cheaply. My friend Heyward Wagner won a Prosolo national title last year as a collage student on a major budget in an early 90s Civic Si. He and his friends pitch tents at weekend events and grill hotdogs, etc. When you start throwing the R-word around, be prepared to open the wallet. I have probably spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 in the last 2 years on this addiction and I don't even race yet. All I do is autocross and track schools.

All the more reason to stay in school and get that degree

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

1 - 13 of 13 Posts