SR20 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing the cam job in my NX and starting it up it will run smooth for several seconds and do a second of "toot toot toot toot" sputtering, about 4 sputters per second. I assume I did because while I was loosing the cam sprocket bolt the zip tie busted for some stupid reason. I didn't see it skip, but it was on the sprocket just fine so I hoped it was ok. I've never heard a car do this so I assume I finally did it the first time. How can I really tell? Check the timing? Let it warm up and try to drive it?

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE and crashed 93 NX2000

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
If you jumped a tooth, the car would not run right at all. It sounds like the ECu is getting used to the cams. When I put my '91 exhaust cam in today, my car had a funky idle, then after a "test drive" everything was OK. Just to check, pull the valve cover and check the cams at TDC. Put that new FSM to good use.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
VE powered
556 Posts
There's plenty of info on this in the archives.

Only real way to know for sure is to take off the valve cover, rotate the crank to put the #1 piston at TDC, make sure the intake and exhaust cam sprocket mating marks are at 10 o'clock and 12 o'clock respectively, and verify there are 20 pins separating the two mating marks on the cam sprockets. Even my '91 FSM on page EM-21 shows exactly 20 pins between the mating marks.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts