SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my motor and my old motor was built with forged pistons and what not. My new motor will be all stock. I was wondering if anyone knew how much boost the stock block can take. I have a big turbo and fully upgraded fuel system. Thanks!

·
Registered
773 Posts
stock det is generaly good to about 400hp. Its ot goin to last forever at 400hp but it should be good for a couple years. some people however do make even more. jgy's rag sentra is a stock det making around 600hp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think if i boosted it to make 425 at the wheels for one or two runs on the dyno, it would be okay? I will probably keep it at 12 psi or so everyday, but Spring Break Tuner bash is next month and I'd like to try and win the dyno challenge.

·
RIP Bob
1,757 Posts
I run 35psi on pump gas and when i want to i bump it to 56psi, no bull ****

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The stock engine, without cracking the valvecover, should hold around 400-410whp with the proper upgrades to fuel/turbo, etc... If you put a metal head gasket and head studs, you should be able to crank out 550whp or so, if it's tuned correctly. However, 400whp is plenty enough for a daily driven FWD car IMO.

Travis

·
RIP Bob
1,757 Posts
detless said:
On what turbo bro? 56 psi?? what gauge reads 56 psi?
plenty of em read 56psi u just got the wrong motor under your hood thats why u cant do it :tongue:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Lets dismiss the misnomer of "how much boost" a stock engine can hold. It's horsepower, period. "Boost" is not the correct measurement. 22 psi on a 2871 is nothing compared to 22 psi from a 40R. How much power can a stock engine produce is the appropriate question.
I know of plenty of drag cars that have turbos capable of 56psi efficiently (and yes, they were on import engines). The larger diesel engines run huge turbos, non-gated (i.e. no wastegate). The turbo produces 30-40 psi on an engine that already has 18-22:1 compression. Of course, that IS a compression ignition engine.

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
I thought the record was like 5XX something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay, my previous engine only had forged pistons. Everything else internally was stock. It made 412whp at 22psi. My new engine will not have the forged pistons. I want to make a 22psi run once or twice on the dyno at Spring Break. Anyone think it will blow up? Oh, I have a RWD SR20DET in a 1995 240sx, SC-61 turbo, Greddy FMIC, Tial wastegate, hks BOV, AFC, greddy profec-b boost controller, 555cc injectors, bigger fuel pump, etc.

·
On Vacation
3,821 Posts
daveracer said:
SR20TurboFreak made 500.3whp on a stock GTI-R bottom end at 25psi i beleive?
No fair...he has a GTiR :tongue:

Anyways, some of us know that HP is what determines an engines strength. However, I'm not much of a DET expert, my question is..."how much boost" can a DET take on pump gas (93 octane)? I know n/a DE's are good for about 12-13psi on 93. I believe the rule of thumb is 3-4 psi for every 1 point on the compression...correct?

·
RIP Bob
1,757 Posts
scmser said:
Lets dismiss the misnomer of "how much boost" a stock engine can hold. It's horsepower, period. "Boost" is not the correct measurement. 22 psi on a 2871 is nothing compared to 22 psi from a 40R. How much power can a stock engine produce is the appropriate question.
I know of plenty of drag cars that have turbos capable of 56psi efficiently (and yes, they were on import engines). The larger diesel engines run huge turbos, non-gated (i.e. no wastegate). The turbo produces 30-40 psi on an engine that already has 18-22:1 compression. Of course, that IS a compression ignition engine.
Yeah i was just yanking the guys chain, its a diesel but mine has a internal gated turbo with a few tricks up its sleeve

·
The Serbaninator
3,241 Posts
you might need injectors larger than 555cc.

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
What is the difference on a Gtir bottom end i know it has a little lower compression but is there something else that would make it hold up?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i think the gtir has the same pistons , just beefier rods, and the lower compression is from the head, not the pistons.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts