SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '91 Classic....speedo cable snapped on the instrument cluster side, what's the trick with the installation? Which side should be installed first? Also, does the cable just snap into place ont he transmission side? Any feedback will help, thanx.

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
mekanik4life said:
I've got a '91 Classic....speedo cable snapped on the instrument cluster side, what's the trick with the installation? Which side should be installed first? Also, does the cable just snap into place ont he transmission side? Any feedback will help, thanx.
IF the cable is broke get a new cable. The new Cable will come with the actual metal cable that turns the speedo, and a rubberish boot that cases the metal cable. The tranny side will slide into place, the speedo cable is square in shape.
Once the cable is in the tranny there is a female end that will scew to the
tranny. You will need to run the new cable through the firewall, then the hook up the cable into the rear of the instrument cluster. On the cluster side of the cable it will have a end that will snap onto the cluster.
EDIT: you do not have to take the instrument cluster out to install the cable, but it may give you a better idea of where to run everything.
Hope this clears things up.

·
-John-
690 Posts
Maybe not he isn't answering his phone...If I remember correct he snapped it into the tranny first and then into the rear of the panel.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The cluster side snaps in, the tranny side's threaded.

Setting the cluster side first may be easier if you dislike contorting yourself under the dash because you could do it with the gauge cluster removed. But, you really don't have to remove the cluster to get the cable on or off.

My only constructive suggestion is to feed it through the firewall before attaching either end.

·
Learn to swim
1,043 Posts
socalnx said:
The cluster side snaps in, the tranny side's threaded.

Setting the cluster side first may be easier if you dislike contorting yourself under the dash because you could do it with the gauge cluster removed.
I agree. I had mine off several times while playing with my dashlight bulbs, and it takes little to no time to get the trany side. Knock out the dash end while you still have plenty of room to get to it from the drivers seat..Josh

·
NEOphile
307 Posts
I've done this several times. It's not too difficult to remove the gague cluster. It would be much more difficult to try to get the speedo cable snapped into the right spot blind. Just undo the old cable from the transmission (easy to see, in the middle of an open area on top of the tranny--you don't need to remove anything to get to it and it comes off without tools), remove the speedo cluster and remove the cable from the speedo cluster (you might have to undo all the wire harnesses from the back and put them back on when you're done), feed the new cable through the firewall, clip it into the cluster, reinstall the cluster and thread the new speedo cable through. Shouldn't take more than half an hour total.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts