SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
JDM style
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car makes a funny noise when i start it.
i took it to the dealer and they said it was the starter, but they couldnt find anything wrong with it. they said it runs fine, but for some weird reason it makes a squeal when it starts.
any one else have this problem?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have the same thing. The only time it makes the noise is when its cold.When its warm it'll never do it. My dealer said that the starter wasn't releasing fast enough. Its been doing it for a little over year and hasn't shown any signs of failing.

·
JDM style
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea mines the same thing.. i got the car in august and it was hot then..
but once it started getting colder out it started to make the noise...
its mad embarassing too.. omygod..
ill be chillen somewhere and everyone is around and i start the car and it makes that noise, everyone is like what the f*** was that?!

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
What kind of squeal is it? It could be the belts slipping.

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've had my car for two years now and it makes the same noise I think you are talking about. Same situation too. You're sitting there giving your car props or your woman right next to you, and you car makes this god awful noise. From what I understand it's just the starter being annoying. I've never replaced my starter, but it makes that noise when it gets cold. I've never really worried about it. Should I have? It doesn't seem like a big deal

------------------
'95 200 SX SE-R
PR CAI; ACT Disc & PP; ES MM; Pro-Kits; 17* timing; now raising funds for AGX's

·
Registered
705 Posts
Its called starter squeal. Its mora annoying than anyhting. it wont harm anything, and if you replace your starter plan on hearing it again in a couple months.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts