SR20 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody:
Recently I bought four new NGK platinum spark plug (the type is PFR6G-11) from Courtesy, and then after about 1000-mile usage I found that the plug's L-shaped firing end turning white, looking like too hot. So I just want to know if I used wrong heat-ranged plugs or if there were other factors that cause the abnormal burning in my engine? Besides, I think my car should be in stock condition so there may not be some over advanced timing problem!
Appreciate your answer!

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JackieC:
Hi, everybody:
Recently I bought four new NGK platinum spark plug (the type is PFR6G-11) from Courtesy, and then after about 1000-mile usage I found that the plug's L-shaped firing end turning white, looking like too hot. So I just want to know if I used wrong heat-ranged plugs or if there were other factors that cause the abnormal burning in my engine? Besides, I think my car should be in stock condition so there may not be some over advanced timing problem!
Appreciate your answer!
</font>
Detonation, i believe. Fill you next couple tanks wiht 91 or better octane gas, and check your timing. make sure its around 15 if you want ot stay stock. If oyu want a little better throttle response, put it at 19, and keep putting 93 in your tank.
let us know what happens after a couple tanks of better gas and make sure to check the timing!!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks for your suggestion!

I will try to use higher octane gas in the next time, but one thing I also want to make sure is that if the carbon deposits in the combustion chamber could also cause the detonation? Since my se-r's engine had been very dirty when I got it, I also tried to apply the engine flush in it. Maybe I had better use the flush again while changing oil the next time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts