SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
WASHED UP
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need cams what makes most power on turbo s3- s4 c1 c2 c3?????

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
I would go with the S4 cam for the turbo. The 9 sec SE-R runs S3 and we will be putting S4 to get a little more top end.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Well thats a big waste of time and energy...a 9 second car sure as hell won't feel 5 extra horsepower (or whatever the S4 makes over the S3)

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies
www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Well Storm I now do understand you realy have no idea how cars work. 1st of all the S4 cams make 5hp more on a NA motor over the S3 cams. We are not talking NA we are talking Turbo, cams work completly diffrent on a turbo car verses a NA car. 2nd when it comes to cams with a turbo, we most of the time are not looking for the extra hp we are looking for a wider power band or as u might know it as area under the curve. 3rd when going to bigger cams with T3-T04 turbos or larger the power diffrence usually is 3 to 4 times the hp gain with a Turbo car verses a NA car. So what we have now, is a car with about 20 hp more and a power band that holds peak hp for a longer time in the RPM band with out falling off so quick in the high RPM area. What that mean to the turbo guy, is a faster car. 4th so now if you check it out Turbo cars make most of their HP up on the top of the RPM, so we intern are using the slightly larger cam to work more incunjuction with the turbo. If you need any more info on how motors work feel free to call me or Email me I will be willing to help you with any problems you have.

Andreas Miko

[This message has been edited by Andreas Miko (edited 08-05-2001).]

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Sure, I'll call you from PA to Florida and rack up long distance charges to "ask you how motors work."

I still don't see the difference between S3 and S4 when you're already running 9 second ET's. Even if it were 20hp, big deal, if you already have 500hp. Besides, I see most turbo SE-R's runing stock cams anyway.

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Well the goal is to get quicker. Lets say you are running 9.9 sec 1/4 mile times and now you have 20 more peak hp and a power curve that extends about another 500 RPMS you now have a car that would run 9.7 or so. The point about putting stuff on your car is to make it go faster so if I ran a 9.9 and now I ran a 9.7 I have just gained the extra time I needed to beat someone who might have been that much faster. I figure getting in some type of dialoge with you is most likely useless because you are unwilling to learn, its seems to me that you are only willing to open up a big mouth just to start trouble. Well here is one more tip for you, sometimes reading and thinking about what you have just read might just absorbe into your brain, just try it, it might just work.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Hey smarty, there is no E on the end of "absorb."

I still say theres no way s4 cams will drop a 9 second car by .2 tenths. Maybe a 15 second car, I ran a 15.1 with the S4 cams and 15.4 without. I know you think you're some kind of guru here, but there isn't exactly alot of people. What seems to you is wrong.

------------------
Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies
www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
Well Storm, alot of people don't spell words exactly the same. Have you ever spelled the word color as colour? Flavor as flavour? Andreas is not from the U.S. originally and did not go to school here either. Neither did I. Just cause it is different and you have never seen it before doesn't mean it's wrong. Or, it could also be that not everyone remembers to hit the spell check when done. Nevertheless, why are you always so argumentative?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
putting bigger cams in a turbo motor will make a bigger diffrence than a n/a motor. it is like putting a bigger exhaust on a car. on a n/a motor, it does not help out much (on ours) but with a turbo it makes a night and day diffrence, and depending on how the cam timing is set, it can make a bigger diffrence than you would think.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace,SMC BAKB, motul 600 brake fluid, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
Andreas do you think it would be worth my time and money to upgrade to the stock '91 intake cam on my '97 as I am installing an FMAX Stage II kit on my car soon. I know it makes like 5 more HP but it is supposed to have more torque as well and pull better to redline.

Thanks

------------------

'97 200SX SE-R
JWT ECU, Place CAI

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
Well I think anything that you can add to your car to make it faster will be a plus. If at this time all you can afford is the 91-93 cams, get them. If you can afford to get JWT cams I think that would be the best way to go. If you are adding turbo to your car, I would finish putting it on and then get the cams from JWT because you would be just wasting your money putting the smaller 91-93 in your car, when you know deep down inside you are a power addict like myself. The JWT cams would make a much bigger diffrence.

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
I don't wanna get into this debate, but what are the differences in lift AND duration between the S3 and S4? How will each affect a turbocharged car differently?

------------------
Brian
AIM: pdxs2000
91 se-r 12.31 @ 117.8mph
00 s2000 14.1 @ 98.6 mph

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dougnosser:
Well Storm, alot of people don't spell words exactly the same. Have you ever spelled the word color as colour? Flavor as flavour? Andreas is not from the U.S. originally and did not go to school here either. Neither did I. Just cause it is different and you have never seen it before doesn't mean it's wrong. Or, it could also be that not everyone remembers to hit the spell check when done. Nevertheless, why are you always so argumentative?</font>

I love debating
That is why. I've never seen absorb with an "e" at the end. That is not the same type of spelling as "flavour" or "colour" But anyways who cares, I was just kidding around about the extra e.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
putting bigger cams in a turbo motor will make a bigger diffrence than a n/a motor. it is like putting a bigger exhaust on a car. on a n/a motor, it does not help out much (on ours) but with a turbo it makes a night and day diffrence, and depending on how the cam timing is set, it can make a bigger diffrence than you would think.

</font>
Well the exhaust diameter thing is well known. We know a 3" exhaust will probably kill some power on a NA car but really open things up on a turbo. BUT, I even recall reading somewhere that the S4 cams aren't all that good for a turbo, unless you have gears.

------------------
Stormy
www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PDX S2000:
I don't wanna get into this debate, but what are the differences in lift AND duration between the S3 and S4? How will each affect a turbocharged car differently?
</font>
S3: .440
S4: .447

That is what I am saying. There has been much talk about how well the JWT cams work with a turbo (especially the S4's) There was some talk they may have too much lift IIRC.

------------------
Stormy
www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
You will need cam gears to dial in overlap with either S3's or S4's (for turbo)......

As for what Andreas was saying it makes complete sense> if you can extend the powerband a mere 500rpm, then that corresponds to each gear. So when you're on the strip...just imagine if you shifted 500 rpm before you usually do; the car would be slower, its the same principle.

BTW, Andreas, I went ahead and just fixed the starter (I was the guy who you convinced to get off my ass and push start it,lol)
-thanks

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
Just fyi- I haven't had any problems yet running S3's with the turbo and 9:1... everything's really smooth... although I'm sure cam gears would be of some benefit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts