SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some used wheels from a forum member and one of them has a noticable bend and a slight bend. I sent it out to wheel collision center in Bath, Pa and I just heard back from them. They quoted my $140 plus $14 for shipping. Does this soud like a fair price? Here is the damage:

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Don't send it there. I know a better place that does it cheaper.

Go to O.K. Auto in Jersey (it's off of 46 I believe going towards Island Dragway)

They unbent my 17" Borbet wheels with some sort of machine and a hammer :) I believe it was only like $40. The wheels were perfect until I hit more potholes and bent them again.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
That price sounds high, but dang that's a big dent.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is they already have the wheel. I would need to have them send it to another place and have the other place send it back to me when its done which could be a hassle. :(

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Matt--

I had one wheel straightened by a place in LA once, and it cost $140 as well. They did a masterful job, so I was happy.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I might just say f it and have them do it. Its already there and the shop has a great rep. They have advertised in the back of C&D for as long as I can remember. Plus, I don't want to have to drop $350 on a brand new wheel if a cheapo place messes it up trying to fix it.

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
I wonder if the body shop is going to straighten my wheels and buff them out or get me some new ones. I hope they get me new ones. When I get 17s ill really have to worry about this.

·
Registered
722 Posts
SERprise In WV said:
Matt--

I had one wheel straightened by a place in LA once, and it cost $140 as well. They did a masterful job, so I was happy.
Greg,
Can you find out the name of that shop and location for me? A friend of mine is looking for a place that can do a good job. For $140.00, can you tell us exactly what they did?
Thanks

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
lucino vzr said:
Greg,
Can you find out the name of that shop and location for me?
http://www.truwheel.com/Index.html

When the wheel was returned to me, it honestly looked better than when brand new. According to Truwheel, they actually welded an area on the wheel (it was steel) that was bent. Then, they stripped the finish and matched the factory color exactly. Good stuff.

·
El Rey de los Chingones
301 Posts
SERprise In WV said:
http://www.truwheel.com/Index.html

When the wheel was returned to me, it honestly looked better than when brand new. According to Truwheel, they actually welded an area on the wheel (it was steel) that was bent. Then, they stripped the finish and matched the factory color exactly. Good stuff.

Back from the dead! If a rim (Kosei) is bent bad enough that it later cracks, would welding and straightening be recommended, or would it just create a weak spot for failure in the future? This rim might see track days in the future.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
Isfahan said:
Back from the dead! If a rim (Kosei) is bent bad enough that it later cracks, would welding and straightening be recommended, or would it just create a weak spot for failure in the future? This rim might see track days in the future.
If it cracks, it's junk. I wouldn't think about tracking a wheel like that!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually, it's just a "hairline" crack, barely visible. Does this still ring true? (isfahan was asking the question in regards to my bent rim)...

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
jabrother said:
Actually, it's just a "hairline" crack, barely visible. Does this still ring true? (isfahan was asking the question in regards to my bent rim)...
A crack is a crack. Would you really want to trust your life to something you know has had a structural failure?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts