SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
b15 kid
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helpp Me

ok today i was going to put on my new rims.......so i put 2 of them on........the lugs were so hard to tighten.....so i tightend them until there was no more play in the rims........i backed the car up and they felt fine i pulled out of the driveway and i felt them like wobble....so i parked the car immediatly and looked at them........the rear wheels center cap was like bulging off......and the front the same.......i took them off and the holes where you put the lugs through were all grinded and ****......and the bolts on my hubs are complely stripped and now i dont kno what the hell to do or why it happed........would it be the offset......its 40 and i though that would be fine.....or could it be the wrong size lugnuts like too small.......it was sooooooo damn hard to tighten them but i didnt think i was forcing them on but maby i was........and now i dont kno what to do about my hubs.....how can i get those bolts fixed?????? i cant even put my stock rims back on because the hub bolts are stripped =( i dunno im so mad its unbelievable.....its the first time ive had my b14 on the road in like 4 months

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Re: Helpp Me

Sounds like ya had the wrong lug nuts. Probably the wrong thread pitch. You'll have to replace the studs more tham likely.

·
-John-
690 Posts

james vick said:
Sounds like ya had the wrong lug nuts. Probably the wrong thread pitch. You'll have to replace the studs more tham likely.
I agree but damn that sounds nasty....

·
HATER
563 Posts

lugstuds can be had for about 1-2 bucks apeace from any parts store, autozone whatever, problem being that if they have them in stock they'll typically have one or two, so plan a trip around town

·
Red line chaser
2,040 Posts

StYLez Se-R said:
ok today i was going to put on my new rims.......so i put 2 of them on........the lugs were so hard to tighten.....so i tightend them until there was no more play in the rims........i backed the car up and they felt fine i pulled out of the driveway and i felt them like wobble....so i parked the car immediatly and looked at them........the rear wheels center cap was like bulging off......and the front the same.......i took them off and the holes where you put the lugs through were all grinded and ****......and the bolts on my hubs are complely stripped and now i dont kno what the hell to do or why it happed........would it be the offset......its 40 and i though that would be fine.....or could it be the wrong size lugnuts like too small.......it was sooooooo damn hard to tighten them but i didnt think i was forcing them on but maby i was........and now i dont kno what to do about my hubs.....how can i get those bolts fixed?????? i cant even put my stock rims back on because the hub bolts are stripped =( i dunno im so mad its unbelievable.....its the first time ive had my b14 on the road in like 4 months
Sounds like you may have 2 problems:
1. Definitely the wrong pitch on the lug nuts. Should be 12 x 1.25.
2. Also sounds like your wheel centers don't fit over the hub completely, causing them to wobble around during driving.

You didn't by chance use a rim/tire combo and lugs for a Honda/Acura/Mazda did you? This usually happens when rims/tires are bought from someone who has the same bolt pattern, but slight differences in the hubs of the rims and the thread pitch of the wheel studs. You're definitely gonna need 8 wheel studs (at least) and don't get them from the dealer unless you've got some heavy $. They will have to be pressed in to the hubs. Not too hard, but a royal pain.

·
b15 kid
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

i bought them from wheelsnext.com.......and i specificed i needed them for a 200sx.....=( this blows......now i dont even know if my rims fit

·
midnight_marauder
395 Posts

Maybe you just had the lugs on crooked when you began to tighten them. Ive had a lot of problems with my lug bolts, broken about 3 of them, so I carry a couple with me in the car....

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts

I did the smaller lug thing too, except the nuts stripped instead of the lugstuds. i guess i got lucky. anyways good luck....

·
b15 kid
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

12x1.5....thats the lug size i have .....wouldnt that be bigger than 12x1.25??? they seemed to small.........beethaniel can u pm me or email me and tell me whoto change out the lug stuids....i would really appreciate it =) [email protected]

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts

The pitch of the tread is different. IIRC, the 1.5 is a coarser thread than the 1.25

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts

Remove wheel. Remove brake caliper and rotor. Put a lug nut (that you will throw away when you're done) on the wheel stud, bang with hammer until it pops out the back side of the hub.
Get new wheel stud, insert through opening. Use the beater lug nut with some washers stacked under it to tighten the stud into place.
Repeat 4 times per wheel, until done.

Safety warning: Take your lug wrench with you for the first couple days, as the wheel studs might be working themselves into place. Your lug nuts will loosen up when this happens. Just tighten them back up.
Don't do any high-speed driving until all studs have successfully worked their way in.
You're done.

Nismo wheel studs are $60 for 8 from Courtesy Nissan and others.

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
$8 each for NISMO studs, makes it $128 for all four wheels. Ask me how I know...

·
b15 kid
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOOT WOOT.......fixed it thank you everyone for your help......no i need to go buy the new lugnuts for my rims and try them out again and see if they fit......for some reason i think i wasted 500 bucks on them

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
StYLez Se-R said:
WOOT WOOT.......fixed it thank you everyone for your help......no i need to go buy the new lugnuts for my rims and try them out again and see if they fit......for some reason i think i wasted 500 bucks on them
Next time, don't thread something in that doesn't go smoothly! Stop and examine the thread pitch!

·
Registered
35 Posts
what size wheel locks to buy?

hey guys i'm new to this forum. i have a 92 ser...i just bought some wheels and now i need wheel locks...most locks on ebay seems to be 12x1.25 or 12x1.5 which one would fit my car? thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts