SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1)Had a oil analysis. No anti freeze in the oil
2)Smell of coolant near lower radiator hose, no leaking hose.
3)Just discovered the 11 month old CSF radiator is leaving small amounts of coolant at end tank exterior.
4)Fans do not kick in until 220 or higher. (Got some FAL 112's)
Could it be the thermostat and or minor coolant leak?

I am swapping radiators again soon, but just curious as to what you guys think.

·
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is on both my Autometer guage and my factory guage. I already replaced both the wires/plug for the stock guage last year.

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
Re: When I drive hard my temp gauge is going up now

In my experience you need a bad coolant leak to keep the fans from kicking, and you need to suck air into the system as well.

I've been through this with my B12 recently. Thermostat may be bad, but this won't keep the fans off, unless it is stuck closed (unlikely).

Not sure for SR, but on my CA18DE, I finally replaced a sensor on the intake manifold called Temp. sending unit. this fixed everything, and it kicks on ~185-188F.

·
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: When I drive hard my temp gauge is going up now

Its311Pete said:
You stated you are losing a small amount of coolant, are you sure that the small amount of coolant hasn't built up to a large amount of coolant loss?

I am losing about an 3/4 inch of coolant a month out of my waterbottle. I can see the coolant on the bottom lip of the endtank (if never hit the ground so thats why I never saw it before). After installing the FALS I see it now. But the smell was always there.

I am beginning to think that this stupid CSF could not handle the pressure of the 300ZXTT cap. I was looking at some pictures on the modine website and it looks like a pressurecap problem.

I need to find a Modine or Koyo at a decent price. Any suggestions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts