SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am standing still and floor my auto NX it just bogs down and eventually gets going. If I give it a little gas and gradually give it more it responds much better. It does this with both the stock airbox and with the POP filter. Is it not getting enough fuel or air?

·
Registered
301 Posts
sounds like it, you can always tell by smell, if you can smell the gas that means your running rich on fuel and its not being burned and its just set out the exhaust... if you dont odds are its your air. Either way it seems your running rich on something.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
how are the plugs, plug wires, and cap/rotor doing?
Have you checked those out?
And, of course, the fuel filter!
Then theres the EGR and BPT.
Damn. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
keithert said:
When I am standing still and floor my auto NX it just bogs down and eventually gets going. If I give it a little gas and gradually give it more it responds much better. It does this with both the stock airbox and with the POP filter. Is it not getting enough fuel or air?
Sounds more like the auto tranny to me...

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, though.

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
723 Posts
hey i guess i might be running a *bit* rich, too. my car has no performance problems but when i floor it for a while or even cruise at a high rev the smell lingers for a short while... how can i check/fix it?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Tony come by the shop on sat or I'll bring the consult to speedzone and we'll check it out...........james

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Ive told ya before its your timeing. Believe me it made the car behave night and day differently. You can ask Eric about that. I let him drive my car to the bank one day and he bout got hit cause it wouldnt get out of its own way turning in the bank. We set the timeing later that day I think. He looked at it and it appeared the timing was around 10btdc, way low.

The way it works is the ECU pulls timing out on all the cars. Its more evident on the auto cause you cant raise the launch rpm's to get over that problem. But when you go to full throttle the ecu pulls out as much as 7degrees of timing, meaning your base timing could go way down (mine down to 3) which pulls ALOT of power out of the engine. Id guess 10 or more hp. When you set your base timing up to about 15, where its supsosed to be stock, the timing pull isnt that noticeable. Cause at that point pulling a few degrees out will only pull like 5hp out. It does this to prevent detonation and other things. After a few seconds it feeds the ignition timeing back in as it seneses no knock.

If this doesnt work next check your knock sensor. It could be broken, if so the engine pulls out that timing and leaves it out. We saw alot of broken knock sensors at the convention on Kojima's Consult. But I will bet its low timeing. My car acted the same way. Floor it one day from a dead stop, it should feel like a carb loading up then in about 3 seconds or so she starts pulling hard. I can garrentee its not the POP. Get someone to consult it for a bad knock sensor and other settings, then check the timing. Do it with a good timeing light and a good eye. I would recomend having someone that has done it alot on a sr20 do it. Remember to lock it into timing mode also. Do that and it will feel like a new car, mine pulls so much harder now. Even scratches the tires when I want to.

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have my timing advanced to 17 degress. That made a huge diference in the driveability of the car. I don't usually floor the throttle from a start, but rather give it gas gradually. When I do that I am pleased with its performance. I just found it strange that it bogged down when flooring it.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well i guess it depends on what your deffination of bogging is. yes there is lag with the auto. i just tested mine today and it takes a second or so from a dead stop before it starts pulling like mad. If its anymore than that there is something up. Maybe the timeing isnt at 17 really....timing mode didnt get locked in or something. Might could use a fuel filter.... Fluid change maybe. I need to change my fluid pretty bad.

LOL whats funny is I think driving it hard really perks up the car. Like last weekend I raced at an auto-x, and all last week the car has felt unnormaly quick and stuff. The tranny is somewhat learning so if you go around puttering all the time it learns that. then when you stomp it, it gets confused :D. Autos are a weird beast....something i dont like all that much but i love the car. and not like it mattered when i bought the car, it was just a sentra that i needed to go to school and back

·
Registered
723 Posts
my car doesnt exhibit any of those problems and my timing is at 17... the only thing is that once in a while it emits that smell that i havent noticed before

·
Registered
727 Posts
Kiethert:

The JWT ECU absolutely kicks ass. You have to keep timing at 15, I was told, but throttle response is heaven. Imagine tightening you throttle cable to the point where if you barely touch the gas its gone, with no hesitation whatsoever! It raises the rev limiter from 7100 to 7700 rpm. It removes the 109MPH top end limiter, and remaps the air/fuel curves for better gas mileage and performance. I love it, they run 595 from JWT, but I think Andreas has or had one he was selling for 550. I picked mine up for a steal of 300 from a guy in Cincinnati. I would totally reccomend this unless you are going turbo anytime soon. I am going turbo in a month and will have to pay JWT around $100 to add in the turbo program, but this ECU is worth it, I am telling ya! :D

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
7100 rev limiter????? 109 speed limiter????? what be these things you are talking about? Oh wait you be a b14 owner :D.

The ecu might help but its an expensive way to go about it. And the tranny is controlled by another computer down by your left foot behind the plastic. Id recomend tightening your throtle cable, that should help some. Then Id think about taking it in and getting a tech to look at your tranny. Line pressure could be down or something....

Just remember there will be some hesitation off the line with the auto, if its more than a second something is definatly up. If your timeing is indeed at 17 then it could be internal with the tranny. Or your car could just be down on power. I know when I checked the timing myself on my car it looked good. Then I let Eric look at it, he said it was on like 10 not 15....so having a good eye for the sr20 helps.

·
Registered
486 Posts
if by bogged down, you mean what i think you mean, your engine may have amiss, my old accord did and it did that. replace wires/plugs should be good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts