SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of sucky alignment shops. They can normally handle setting the toe, but camber plates, eccentric bolts, and slotted struts are waaaaaayyy beyond their skill level.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a cheap and reasonably accurate camber gauge? I've read about the homemade ones on this forum, but I'm in the weird position of having more money than time right now, so I'd like to just buy one.

Has anyone had luck with any of these cheaper eBay gauges?

Does anyone want to sell me a homemade one or know of another good source?

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
VERY cool, Eric. You can actually do it with just some heavy plexiglas or whatever and a gravity right angle, but this also does a nice job of taking care of getting the car straight setting up to do toe.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
No dice - your link is cookied.

Did you mean this?
Craftsman 10 in. Level, Digital LaserTrac®

Sears item #00948292000 Mfr. model #48292

I have one, it's pretty handy.

C
That's it. I can't take the credit for that one. Thomas Reynolds found it and told me. You can use the laser to get the thrust alignment also. :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No dice - your link is cookied.

Did you mean this?
Craftsman 10 in. Level, Digital LaserTrac®

Sears item #00948292000 Mfr. model #48292

I have one, it's pretty handy.

C
Link worked for me... and that is the correct level.

If I attach this to a piece of angle aluminum, wouldn't I also need to insert some bolts to attach to the wheel rim (similar to the other DIY examples on the forum)?

I'd like to do both my G20 (17" wheels) and my NX (14" wheels) so I'd need 2 sets of bolts I think.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
The way Thomas built his, is he has different pieces for each wheel size.

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
Smart Camber FTW. It's worth the money for sure. It can compensate for less than level surfaces.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
I agree that the Smart Camber is a great way to go if you don't mind dropping the $$ for one, but I think (as in this is my uneducated opinion) that you could cobble together a close facsimile using the Sears digital gauge. By the way, the Sears one also has a calibrate to 0 button which will compensate for out of level floors.
C

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Plus you can use it around the house. :)

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
I have one like this for the absolute bare bones approach. I've seen the same one for a bit cheaper on eBay. Although that Sears thing looks pimp in comparison!

Pat

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
Sorry guys I've been busy with work...

I'll post pics of it tonight. Once you see it you will understand how easy it is to make and use. I had thought of building one a couple years back but couldn't find that digital inclinometer cheap enough for my idea. As soon as I saw these came out at Sears I literally ran out and bought one to build it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome. Thanks Thomas.

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
Ok here it is. I'm also posting these in the Steve Foltz (98SR20VE) DIY Alignment thread.

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
And as an added bonus here is how you can measure thrust with it:

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
By the way, the Sears one also has a calibrate to 0 button which will compensate for out of level floors.
C
Um, no. While it's true it has a calibrate button, it will not compensate for a non level floor. You still need to level the car.

However you can ALSO use it to level the car!! I did. Here's how: I drove the car on the exact spot I wanted to take my measurements for alignment. I marked the floor, and found the center by crossing the four corners. I grabbed my camera tripod and screwed the level onto it. Then I leveled it to 0.0deg and pointed it to my big T square(as seen above) at each of the four corners finding the highest corner and raising the other three to match with 1/8" vinyl floor tiles. Done. 20 minutes tops.

What you can do with the calibrate button is to hold the level exactly 90deg and hit calibrate so that when you measure camber it will show the actual value, i.e. 1.0deg, 1.3deg, 2.1deg and so on instead of subtracting the value you read from 90. It's not worth it to me, I just turn it on, throw it up there straight up and down (eyeball it), and subtract from 90.

·
Pursuit of happiness
584 Posts
Wow, That is impressive. I will be getting your set up. Thank you
Ed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts