SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 Classic SE-R and I really want to race. But I am not into drag racing. I really wanna do road course or rally course racing. I have been reading SCCA's website for days now and I really don't want to just do the through the cones thing. I am really interested in Club and Pro Rally. These are primarily dirt/snow/stone courses. I am gonna join the SCCA soon but I feel stupid asking all my questions over the phone. I noticed that there were 2WD classes in Pro Rally and Club Rally. Has anyone ever raced in these categories? I am more interested in any 2WD racing at all cause I know that to really get into it I would need 4WD and that will be a second car in a few months. Any info about anything with road racing would be appreciated. Thanks and please don't tell me to start with little autocross events cause I know I will have to start there anyways. Constructive information would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you're new to racing, then don't count out those cones just yet! I'd start off with autox first. Its not nearly as easy, simple, and slow as you think it is. Its not just a "through the cones thing." Learn the limits/behaviours of your car BEFORE you go blasting down that road course. Autox is a safer and more beginner friendly environment, but just as competitive. I'd say get a good season of autocross under your belt before you venture out into roadracing. Just my opinion of course.

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Son Of Skyline:
If you're new to racing, then don't count out those cones just yet!
</font>
Yes, I totally agree. You'd be amazed at how many top road racers started out in Solo. Neal Sapp, Jeff Altenburg, John Heinrecy, and lots more. And these three continue to return to solo many times a year (I worked timing with Heinrecy a few weeks ago at a solo).

I personally can say that the first time I put my car on a road course was after 4 full seasons of autocross. I wasn't intimidated at all by the track, the speeds, or my own car. I felt totally in control of the car at all times. I could hit apexes, brake smoothly, and never came close to losing control. And yes, I was fast, too. =)

I do about 20 autocrosses a year, but have only been on a road course twice. This year's convention I was one of the fastest cars in my group (advanced, but not instructors) despite having the least prepared car out there, just a stock 200. I was passing cars with full suspensions and engine work. But those drivers hadn't done as much autocross, nor had enough track experience to make up for it.

Autocross is cheap and very abundant. You can run an autocross for $15 an event (cheap!).

Get as much seat time as you can and never accept losing no matter what the competition is driving or may have done to their car. Autocross is at least 80% driver skill, only 20% car.

After a while autocrossing (at least 10-20 events), you'll feel more comfortable about spending thousands of dollars to road race or rally.

BTW, are you a student? Do you know how much it costs to Rally? Each Pro Rally costs about $3K-$8K per event after adding up all the costs (car, entry, crew, hotel, etc..). Club Rally is probably only 1/2 that.

-Larry MacLeod
'96 SE-R in ES

[This message has been edited by SERCA96 (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
What they said.

Autocrossing will teach you more about you and your car's limits than anything out there. And, it is much tougher than you think.

It's also much more fun than you think.

I couldn't imagine hitting a road course or a rally without some serious autocross seat time behind me. I would wad up my car within minutes, if I went that route. Just my opinion.

I'm only in my 2nd season of autocrossing, btw. Between two regions, I get in 24 autocrosses a year.

I also learn something every time out there. And, I also get a wee bit faster, smoother, with every run.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, a proud customer of Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc., [email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude...guys I already said that I know I will be autoxing before the rallying is even an option. No offence but I said what I said because I knew that if I didn't I would get replies like I got. I am looking for an answer as to how to eventually get into the rally races. I KNOW I have to learn to autoX first. I said that for a reason. I am not pissed or anything, but as for how to get into the other type of competitions has never been discussed on ay posts that I could find anywhere. Thanks for the replies anyways though.

[This message has been edited by Nexidus (edited 09-29-2001).]

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Well, since you put it THAT way...

Since you're going to be concentrating on autocrossing for the next year or so (before getting into rally), I would strongly suggest joining the SCCA (if you already haven't) and checking out what your local region members are up to.

Sure, a lot of them probably autocross only. But I'm willing to bet that, once you join up and start making new friends in your local SCCA region, you'll find a direct pipeline to rallying there. Somebody always knows somebody...

Chances are, you'll find somebody who is a member in the region you'll be a member of who is doing exactly what you want to do (rally). Get to know them. They're your ticket in.

When you want to know about something, then go find the people who are already doing it. Which would be your local SCCA region members.

[EDIT] While thinking about my local region, I realized that there's somebody I know who is doing just about any other form of racing in the SCCA that I'd care to be interested in: We have guys who rally...guys who roadrace...guys who race with PCA...guys who race with BMWCCA...ProSolo guys...

The common denominator is....they ALL autocross, too. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by SERprise In WV (edited 09-29-2001).]

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nexidus:
I am looking for an answer as to how to eventually get into the rally races.</font>
There is a guy currently rallying his SE-R. However, I can't remember his name (yeah I know, big help I am). But if you search the se-r-list.org archives I bet you'll find his name.

For more info, try going to your local SCCA's monthly meeting and maybe you'll find someone there who can help.

If you check the SCCA website for the rally schedule, you'll probably be able to find an event coming up soon, and maybe even one close to you. Maybe you can volunteer to work the event (and watch for free). It'll give you a good opportunity to get up close and personal with the sport.

The Detroit Region has their annual Sno-Drift coming up in the middle of January. It's one of the biggest Club Rallys around. Maybe put that on your calender.

-Larry MacLeod

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've looked into Rally before and everyone told me the best way to get acquainted with the sport is to be a co-driver (navigator). If you can do that while you autocross for a season you'll be well prepared to finally take a chance in the driver's seat. Also look for rallycross events which would be a good way to meet other rally enthusiasts. Rally is a tough sport, it will beat on you, your navigator and especially your car! So go and check it out for now.. You'll meet people with the answers to your questions.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to thank everyone for the replies. I have a good idea about what I will be doing over the next few years it seems. I was concerned that this post would turn into a bashing that I wasn't ready to take, but I really learned a lot and that's good to see. Thanks again.

·
Registered
487 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scarpa:
I've looked into Rally before and everyone told me the best way to get acquainted with the sport is to be a co-driver (navigator).

</font>
But you can't just jump in the seat and be a navigator right? Isn' there some major training involved to even navigate? Makes sense, since rally is a 2 man sport, both totally dependent on the other.

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Isn' there some major
training involved to even navigate?</font>
From what I can see, there really not all that much training in the SCCA. It's a lot of learn as you go. There are schools offered by some regions that will teach you the basics, and there might even be a business out there that does it (Like Skip Barber or Bondurant, but for rallying). The SCCA club rally rulebook might be a good place to start. You can order them from the main office.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

1 - 11 of 11 Posts