SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
turboAZ2 said:
Bump anybody know or have one?
4000-4500rpm depending on you other supporting mods and ECU tuning. I have run both the 0.63 and the now the 0.86 A/R and spool up didn't change much, but when I went to the large housing I also swapped in a tubular manifold and longer duration high lift cams.

HTH

·
Registered
803 Posts
Holy crap, I heard that turbo was a pretty large speed mismatch. I didn't dream it spooled like a GT3037 with way less horsepower potential. I'd say drop that piece of crap turbo and get a GT28RS. There are so many big boy turbos that don't see full spool until 4K you shouldn't be screwing around with something that tops out at 320 whp with that kind of lag. That's horrible, seriously, way too much lag for it's limited capabilities.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a GT25 series and it made around 1bar at approx 3000-3500rpm.The timing was way out and desperately needed remapping but it still spooled quick.That was with a lightened flywheel and alloy pulleys on a GTiR.

·
Registered
369 Posts
turboAZ2 said:
I've got a GT2871R sitting on my desk. Anyone now much about these?

Its got the same turbine as the GT28RS, but a 71mm compressor.
It sounds very similar to the HKS GT2835 that has a 56 trim 71mm compressor in T-04E housing. From what I understand the 2835 is good for about 350whp with good spool by 3500 rpm.

As for the GT25R spool being over 4000 rpm, that just doesn't sound right to me. I think we might be confusing turbos here. IMHO in the small frame GT turbo's, there is no reason to do anything smaller than the GT28RS and at minimum at least the GT28R.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cjburn said:
Holy crap, I heard that turbo was a pretty large speed mismatch. I didn't dream it spooled like a GT3037 with way less horsepower potential. I'd say drop that piece of crap turbo and get a GT28RS. There are so many big boy turbos that don't see full spool until 4K you shouldn't be screwing around with something that tops out at 320 whp with that kind of lag. That's horrible, seriously, way too much lag for it's limited capabilities.
Hmmm... Maybe we are getting confused. There are two different GT25R one is basically a ball bearing version of the stock T25 and then there is the older GT25R also known as a GT25/40R which is what I was referring to. There have been people that have dyno'ed as much as 400 rwhp on these turbos in Silvias.

·
Registered
369 Posts
KmanSilvia said:
Hmmm... Maybe we are getting confused. There are two different GT25R one is basically a ball bearing version of the stock T25 and then there is the older GT25R also known as a GT25/40R which is what I was referring to. There have been people that have dyno'ed as much as 400 rwhp on these turbos in Silvias.
Yep that would do it. :D I think he was talking about the T25 based GT25R...She's a cute little bugga. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The GT25R with a .64 A/R housing will make 7psi at around 3200-3300. It can make 400whp with that housing. There's no reason to go with the .86 housing.. it's too laggy, and the turbo won't make much more power than that.
Travis

·
Registered
369 Posts
unlucky said:
The GT25R with a .64 A/R housing will make 7psi at around 3200-3300. It can make 400whp with that housing. There's no reason to go with the .86 housing.. it's too laggy, and the turbo won't make much more power than that.
Travis
Trav, are we talking about the Garrett small frame T25 based GT25R? :confused: The part number I have in Garrett catalog for the GT25R is 471171-3 I don't see anything else listed for a "GT25R". According to their maps, the GT25R is only good for about 250 at the crank.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Garrett has thier **** all mixed up.. lol.. There is a GT25 that looks like a regular T25, but is ballbearing. Same as an Avenir. That one makes 250hp. Then, there's the GT25R.. or GT2540 as some people call it. It's got the NS111 turbine, and a 48 Trim compressor with T04S cover. It can make 400whp if you use an external wastegate.

Travis

·
Registered
161 Posts
unlucky said:
Garrett has thier **** all mixed up.. lol.. There is a GT25 that looks like a regular T25, but is ballbearing. Same as an Avenir. That one makes 250hp. Then, there's the GT25R.. or GT2540 as some people call it. It's got the NS111 turbine, and a 48 Trim compressor with T04S cover. It can make 400whp if you use an external wastegate.

Travis
So is that the same as a GT28RS?? So confused right now :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
GT28RS is the Disco Potato turbo.

GT25R is like what travis says. the NS111 is the choke point though, you will probably see 340-350 whp @ 20 or so psi. gonna need an external gate for 20 psi though, might creep or might not even make that boost at all. besides, internal gates will kill the power output beyond 1 bar anyway.

the DP and the GT25 spool about the same, DP will make 300 whp though.

the GT25R will make full boost (10 psi) about 3500 rpm from what i saw in Erich Tucker's car. thats with an internal gate. external will take some off of that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts