SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The road's my slave
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm wondering what the egr stuff looks like and where it is. help on where any other emission stuff is located at will be helpful too. pitures please. i'm not removing this stuff i would just like to have the knowledge

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
Search for [ emissions and removal ] and you'll find alot here on the forum. btw it really helps to take that **** off!

·
Owned by Maximas!
4,064 Posts
^^ removing your emissions stuff will not give you any gains. b14s (especially the 98s-99s) have a lot more emission stuff than the b13s.. since you have a b13 i wouldn't worry about it

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
sr20deman said:
Search for [ emissions and removal ] and you'll find alot here on the forum. btw it really helps to take that **** off!
i work at a smog station and taking off your emissions components does nothing for gains. disconnecting pulse air injection or egr removal does nothing for your car, the only two reasons you'd want to take them off is if your egr is stuck open, thus causing a constant exhaust recirculation, or if you have bad pulse air reed valves, but both of those components should be re-attached after repairs have been made.
if you disconnect you p.a.i.r. you'd best be ready to buy new o2s every six months or so. :eek:

·
ya dig
1,053 Posts
yah **** i tried takin my egr vlave off to clean it and the bolt closest to the valve cover rounded off in like 2 turns pos...now im gonna have to get it off some macgiverway

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
if you disconnect you p.a.i.r. you'd best be ready to buy new o2s every six months or so.
^^ removing your emissions stuff will not give you any gains
Hmm ive had mine off for a year or so..no O2 sensor problems,(you evil smog station employees!) and much better driveability. PLUS it declutters the engine bay and saves on weight/asthetics. Id say those are gains!

·
The road's my slave
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Creagach said:
i work at a smog station and taking off your emissions components does nothing for gains. disconnecting pulse air injection or egr removal does nothing for your car, the only two reasons you'd want to take them off is if your egr is stuck open, thus causing a constant exhaust recirculation, or if you have bad pulse air reed valves, but both of those components should be re-attached after repairs have been made.
if you disconnect you p.a.i.r. you'd best be ready to buy new o2s every six months or so. :eek:
i'm not looking for any kind of gains, i just want my car to stop freakin dying on me when i put the clutch in to slow down to a stop or when i brake and clutch, it's so annoying and somewhat embarrassing when i'm with a girl or friends. i want it out!

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
ChrisNX2000 said:
i'm not looking for any kind of gains, i just want my car to stop freakin dying on me when i put the clutch in to slow down to a stop or when i brake and clutch, it's so annoying and somewhat embarrassing when i'm with a girl or friends. i want it out!
Time for a tuneup perhaps? :biggthump
;)

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
Emmisions CRAP

ChrisNX2000 said:
I had the EXACT problems as you Chris (if thats your name) whenever id clutch and/or brake my car would cough and sputter and sometimes die. after i took off my EGR, BPT, and AIV i had No problems at all ever again. It was like night and day. These are some of the things i took off:

If you have any questions im here.

·
The road's my slave
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sr20deman said:
I had the EXACT problems as you Chris (if thats your name) whenever id clutch and/or brake my car would cough and sputter and sometimes die. after i took off my EGR, BPT, and AIV i had No problems at all ever again. It was like night and day. These are some of the things i took off:

If you have any questions im here.
i like the whole tone of suspicion, "if that's your name..." haha that made me laugh, but man thanks for the pics, what do i need to block off or plug when i remove this? of course i'm gonna be keeping my equipment cause i live in california! ooh that pisses me off soo much! when is it gonna be our turn to not have to smog our cars?!

·
Nissan > All
506 Posts
ChrisNX2000 said:
i like the whole tone of suspicion, "if that's your name..." haha that made me laugh, but man thanks for the pics, what do i need to block off or plug when i remove this? of course i'm gonna be keeping my equipment cause i live in california! ooh that pisses me off soo much! when is it gonna be our turn to not have to smog our cars?!
There's gonna be two hard parts, the rest is easy. #1: Fashioning a block off plate for the intake were the egr valve was, and #2: Crafting or finding a plug to plug the hole in your exhasut manifold after removal of the egr assembly. First off what i would do is look at thsoe pics i posted and make your engine look just like that by basically taking everything thing off. its mostly simple bolts and such. When u look down at your header u should see a big metal tube coming out of it about a foot or so down taht goes up to a big boxy lookin thing infront of the valvecover, this btw can be removed also. Anyway, this plug on the header is a bitch to get off so use lots of wd40 and be gentle or youll wreck something. I would actually recommend useing a torch to heat the plug up to redhot and then quickly turning it off. What I did after i had it off is weld the head of a large bolt over the hole in the plug were the tube went in, then just screwed it back in with the new bolt head since i seriously f*cked the original getting it out. Up top on the manifold i simply unbolted the EGR and the cast piece under it. I then found some thinish aluminum plate and cut it to the same size as the bottom of the EGR then drilled two holes in it and found some bolts and washeres to bolt the aluminum plate on after coating the bottom with some RTV gasket silicone. Any vacuum hoses going into/outof the egr/Aiv you can just cut and plug however you choose, were ever you choose. I didnt mess with the solenoids at all. I think there is also a tube running from the AIV assembly to the intake which you can also remove, its been awhile since ive had to look at all that crap! If ive left anythign out or you have anymore questions.... :squint: "Chris" :squint: you know who to contact. Later

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
ChrisNX2000 said:
thanks for the suggestion buudy, i have thought about that but wow, $25-$33 for some small pieces of metal? i guess i wouldn't be trppin so much if i wasn't broke.
Well, I think that those "small pieces of metal" as you described is more than worth it. At least you won't need the do the leg work of finding the metal and then having them cut/drilled/machined/etc. :biggthump

·
Registered
8 Posts
just replace the egr valve and it will idle fine. as far as gains ummm no nothing. egr just allows engine to run cooler at cruising speeds to reduce nox emissions. the egr keeps combustion temps down by introducing carbon dioxide from the exhaust.

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
sr20deman said:
Hmm ive had mine off for a year or so..no O2 sensor problems,(you evil smog station employees!) and much better driveability. PLUS it declutters the engine bay and saves on weight/asthetics. Id say those are gains!
i'd say the driveability problems were caused by your cars smog equipment malfunctioning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts