SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me which wire is for the Throttle Position Sensor. Also when I look at the timing pulley I see 4 small marks very close together. Right now the index is pointing to the mark closest to the firewall with the TPS connected. That seems to say that the timing is very much retarded. Will disconnecting the TPS change that? It seems that I should be shooting for the second mark from the front of the car. Is this correct. Thanks.

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
right above the throttle body, 3 prong sensor i do believe...but...i am ****ed up so i dont know if that's where it is..hehe..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

G

·
0 Posts
Start your car, let it warm up. Stop your car, unplug your TPS (right next to your throttle-body). start your car, rev it to 3000rpm three times, get a buddy to hold it at idle, time your car. IIRC the last mark, closest to the front of the car is 20 degrees, position your timing mark between the second to last, and the last mark closest to the front of your car (~17 degrees). Stop your car, reconect TPS, should be good to go. Sometimes it is neccesary to reset your ECU by unplugging the NEG. battery cable for an hour or so.

Hope that helps,

Tait

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">get a buddy to hold it at idle, time your car.</font>
The car should hold an idle with the TPS disconnected. If it doesn't, then the idle needs to be adjusted.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Sometimes it is neccesary to reset your ECU by unplugging the NEG. battery cable for an hour or so.</font>
Disconnecting the battery for an hour won't reset the ECU. You'll need to leave it disconnected for at least 24 hours.

Here's a link that explains how to adjust your timing:
http://www.sr20de.net/engine/about_timing.html

------------------
Thomas Fox
'93 NX2000
www.geocities.com/subcltr_nx2000/Homepage.html

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked around the engine compartment and noticed some possible things to disconnect. Are the ones that I noted as 1,2 or 3 the TPS? When I disconnected 3 the engine was hard to keep running.

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
3 is the mass air flow sensor plug
The TPS is here in the red square behind the blue shop cloth

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From Nick's picture it would appear that the plugs to disconnect are #2. That area has a wire that goes to what I presume is the TPS that splits off into 2 connectors. Do I have to disconnect both? Thanks.

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
that is for the avi ? cant remember the proper name for it at the moment, but a hose used to run to the stock air box to were that filter is i have a pop charger in place of my oe filter

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
it replaces the AIV.

i had to put a breather there too when i rigged up my short intake..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

1 - 12 of 12 Posts