SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you've got Progress swaybars and ever need to replace your heim links, you'll find that Progress doesn't want to sell you just the heims or the mounting hardware for your sways, and even if you did convince them to, they'd charge you darn near what a brand new bar would cost with hardware included.

So in my search to resolve this dilemma I came across the following website:

http://www.gokartgalaxy.com/bearings.htm

One each of Part #'s 8244, 8246 and 8512will do one end link for about $12.

If you ever run across somewhere that sells the 3/8-24NF heims, or sells heims even cheaper, please update this thread.

·
Is an SE-R/VE a VE-R?
2,262 Posts
GREAT find, Rob. I hadn't faced the problem yet but know it's just a matter of time; figured Progress would be nice enough to serve their customers, but guess not. Doug, McMaster-Carr ought to work too. Thanks to both of you.

This needs to go into the tech library, methinks.

·
Now accepting donations!!
3,394 Posts
Keep in mind there are MANY different grades of rod ends, the cheapest option is rarely the best.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
El Gabito said:
Keep in mind there are MANY different grades of rod ends, the cheapest option is rarely the best.
These appear to be the same as the ones that come with the bar. I also highly doubt that Progress uses $20 ends, spending $80 per bar just in heims. The ones I linked to aren't the cheap "economy" ones but that website does sell those as well.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Truly, for endlinks for swaybars, they don't even need to have a bearing at all, they simply need to be a rod end. It's simply there as a perpendicular hole for the bolt to pass through as a means for attachment. Something with no race or liner at all that will compress or wear. Which is why Progress used the ones they did, and the one's I linked to seem to be identical to those they used. The bearing is only there to afford you a little play in how the link sets vertically so that it doesn't bind if it's not perfectly perpendicular to bar ends and the lower bracket, the bearing also allows the attachment point to rotate as the bar travels, so that the bolt isn't spinning inside an opening, wearing. As I said, as far as I can tell these are the same as the ones they came with, and I've ordered some and I'll compare them in person as well. If a person wants to spend $160+ for heims for their swaybars they certainly can, I'm just trying to find replacements for the ones Progress uses. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend that kind of money when it's highly unlikely that Progress bought high end heims that cost that much, and when you can get all new hardware and swaybars for marginally more. Hell, I'd love to get stainless steel heims, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money to have that. I'll make some rubber boots that will cover the whole link and fill them with grease before I'll spend that much money.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
paNX2K&SE-R said:
Awesome detective work! Any idea where to find the L shaped brackets that bolt to the rear hub? :)

My guess is you'd have to make those. Maybe we could convince someone who fabricates, to make us some out of stainless steel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts