SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just picked up a 93 SE-R with a DET swap (9.5:1)
all stock parts on it. The guy I bought it from had it installed and it worked for a few months, then he thinks it blew the turbo and he parked it.
I can drive the car around and it runs just fine, until I try to put more than about 1/8th of the throttle, in other words until it trys to boost, then it sputters like crazy but doesn't die. It also Idles just fine
Now I am not super familar with turbo cars, but I would assume that a blown turbo would make all sorts of noises, and not sound like it is spooling up. There are no unusual noises and it does sound like it is starting to spool (like any other turbo car I have been in) right before it starts sputtering. I am hoping that it is just some sort of vacuum line that got diconnected or something of that nature, but this is a project car for me so as long as I can nail what it is down it i a shouldn't be a problem for me. Unfortunatly I haven't had any time to look into it yet.
If you guys could point me in the right direction to start my search, that would be great.

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
pull the ecm codes. and no dets came with 9.5:1

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no codes coming up, it does have a stock ECU from the orignial SR20DE that was in it though. The motor was a real DET not an N/A with a turbo manifold put on. What compression ratios did they come in? I thought they came in 8.5 and 9.5.

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
i had the same problem but my ecm said the tps and front O2 were inop. i had the plugs reversed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
twisted200ser said:
i had the same problem but my ecm said the tps and front O2 were inop. i had the plugs reversed
Well I just talked with the seller, it seems that this happened right after he got some gaskets replaced around the Timing chain area. So that gives me a good place to start looking. Anything in that Area that I should pay close attention to?
Thanks for all the input guys.

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
SoloII SE-R said:
Well I just talked with the seller, it seems that this happened right after he got some gaskets replaced around the Timing chain area. So that gives me a good place to start looking. Anything in that Area that I should pay close attention to?
Thanks for all the input guys.
thats a broad area. top of motor bottom of motor?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts