SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I already posted this to the mailing list and I did not get *that* much input from people who actually run them as I see it. I got a bunch of "he said she said EVERYTHING SUCKS!" SO!
What are you running? and Why?
No bullshit please, there is enough of that already =)

------------------
David Lau <[email protected]>
Stop Fast, corner better B13 SER in Vancouver, WA

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
Apex-i AVC-R lots of power + gear judge to change solonoid duty cycle was my reasoning (and it looks cool!, Chicks dig it)

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
I knew some people with the AVC-R, They said it was very picky at times and didn't work right. Try the EVC EZ or profec B something with out the Fuzzy. Fuzzy logic is bitch sometimes and a great friend at others.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Manual boost controllers are always a good choice for someone who is not going to constantly keep changing boost settings. You can't go wrong with the price either. They usually range from $40.00-140.00. Turbonetics, Turbo XS, Greddy and HKS all make bleader valves.

Try to stay away from fuzzy logic boost controllers. These are very hard to program and are very picky when it comes to tuning them.

Personally, I would stay away from the AVC-R. You don't need any of the added features other than the boost controller.

I am running teh Greddy PRofec B without any problems. I did run into some issues with the boost controller not allowing me to boost past 16 psi , but it turned out to be ignition problems and a faulty wastegate. I have been boosting around 19-20 psi on the PRofec and I can still boost up to 25 psi. A lot of people say that you can't boost past 20 psi with the Profec, that is not correct. The dip switches on the back have to be set for external wastegate w/ overboost and the sharpness dial has to be set all the way to the sharp side. This will allow quicker boost response. Most of the Supra guys run this boost controller and have no problems boosting up to 25 psi.

I have heard good things about the HKS EVC EZ. This is sort of an electronic bleeder valve. It has a twist knob just like a manual boost controller would have and supposedly works very well. If you decide to go with the HKS unit, make sure it is the EVC EZ NOT the EVC IV.

I hope this helps!

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1497569&a=11327630

Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
349.6 hp & 301.4 ft/lb @ 19 psi, 13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.0 @ 118.77 mph(Slicks), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (7-9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Sumitomo 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
Before it was stolen I used the Blitz SBC, it took a while to hook it up correctly cause the directions are in japanese, and I dont read it. After hooking it up and finally getting it to work it worked well with only one problem. My Tial wg is set at .65 bar which is about 8-9 pounds, but when you turned it on it boosted ten. Now this could have been the boost gauge or the boost controler Im not sure but its reletivly simple and works fine. I can recomend the HKS Evc ez thats what MY boy Andy uses and he likes it alot. Stay away from the FuZZY.

------------------
Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks,custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Eibach Sportlines, everything else was stolen,:( Pectel coming up bigger Injectors and custom fuel rail. DAMN VILLIANS.

G

·
0 Posts
This page:

http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/perf/wcv.html

Has the part number to get one from an insustrial supply company and modify it. I believe the cost is less than $20.

I had an HKS MBC, and they do not relieve pressure above 12 PSI (or mine didn't) and it was very unreliable at that.

If you want an electronic, a ProfecB kicks ass. No fuzzy, cheap, reliable, and it works.

-Jay

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
Ahem EVC 4 thanks you!. My Evc works great! do I know how to use it? Hell no but I'll learn one day when I get my car setup right.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PSSSHHHGOESMYSR20:
Before it was stolen I used the Blitz SBC, it took a while to hook it up correctly cause the directions are in japanese, and I dont read it. After hooking it up and finally getting it to work it worked well with only one problem. My Tial wg is set at .65 bar which is about 8-9 pounds, but when you turned it on it boosted ten. Now this could have been the boost gauge or the boost controler Im not sure but its reletivly simple and works fine. I can recomend the HKS Evc ez thats what MY boy Andy uses and he likes it alot. Stay away from the FuZZY.

</font>

------------------

Do you smell what the talon is cooking?

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
Strange, what kind of problems have people had with the AVC-R? Myself and two friends (one with an MR2 turbo and one with a 944T) all have it and none of us have ever had a problem, it's quite simple to setup as well... For me the added feature of the gear judge is extremely useful so I can actually keep moving forward in lower gears.

Well, David, you've ridden in my car and seen the AVC-R, FWIW I've had nothing but good times with it...

·
BOOSTIN PROTECH STYLE
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yellow4g63:
Ahem EVC 4 thanks you!. My Evc works great! do I know how to use it? Hell no but I'll learn one day when I get my car setup right.

</font>
Oh sorry Andy Im growing forgetful in my Italy staying days
~

------------------
Mike.
Turbo Classic, T3/T04e Tial 35mm ".65Bar" Blitz BOV, Custom piping griffen intercooler Core with HK$ EndTanks,custom manifold, 370cc injectors, paxton fpr, Eibach Sportlines, everything else was stolen,:( Pectel coming up bigger Injectors and custom fuel rail. DAMN VILLIANS.

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PDX S2000:
Strange, what kind of problems have people had with the AVC-R? Myself and two friends (one with an MR2 turbo and one with a 944T) all have it and none of us have ever had a problem, it's quite simple to setup as well... For me the added feature of the gear judge is extremely useful so I can actually keep moving forward in lower gears.

Well, David, you've ridden in my car and seen the AVC-R, FWIW I've had nothing but good times with it...
</font>
Ya but what really kicks ass is when someone (tegra?) messes with you and if it wasn't for the damned wheelspin he never would have know what it was.
Fmax is SCARY fast. DET will keep me happy for a while, then the boost controller...

------------------
David Lau <[email protected]>
Stop Fast, corner better B13 SER in Vancouver, WA

·
Fmax Stg II B13
358 Posts
Uhhh.... kinda picky aren't ya? I mean, we still beat him with 3 people in the car in the RAIN... Wanna buy me some aquatreds or something? lol

G

·
0 Posts
I picked the Greedy Profec-B. Simple and no fuzzy logic. If fuzzy logic likes your turbo setup, all is fine.... if it does not though..... =\ .... Manual ones are fine also. One of my blokes did the DET engine and uses a bleed valve fron home depot. Interesting idea, and it works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts