SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, I plan on adding an improvement here soon, but I don't know which cams to get... does anyone have some basic numbers, HP/torque for each set? any recommendations? I live where it does get cold in the winter...

already have pop intake, AEBS headers and underdrive pulleys (2)

any response or advice will be gladly accepted...

thanks, rock on.

Harp.

92NX 69K miles, pop intake, UDP WP/C, AEBS headers, magnaflow muffler.

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
Yes, the C2's should be about 160+ hp once you bolt them in. The idle is not that bad at all. the C2/C3 combo is actually what worked better for the low port motors if I can remember correctly. Hope this helps. And the C1's they rock. Even for normally aspirated. I should know, cause I got em!

------------------
98 200SX SE-R, CAI, AEBS Header, Greedy Exhaust, JWT Motor Mounts, Pullies, Nismo fuel press.reg, JWT C1 cams and JWT gears, Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers, ACT HD/PP, Clutchmasters Flywheel, JWT Computer,Bored Airflow Meter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
First off here is how they break down, there are no C4s:

Approx: $600 for cams

S3s- These are standard cams. Good for the street, have a decent idle with the JWT ECU program. Fairly good gains.

S4s- These are also standard cams. Good for the street, they have a slightly rougher idle than the S3's, gain a little up top, and loose just a little down low as compared to the S3's.

Approx: $1200 for cams, springs and retainers.

C1s- Require new springs and retainers. Better gains than the S4's. Good idle, Probably the best cams for turbo. Wouldn't bother with these if you staying NA.

C2s- Require new springs and retainers. Better gains than C1s. Idle comparable to S3s or S4s. They make awesome power.

C2 Intake/ C3 Exhaust- Require new springs and retainers. Idle is on the edge of what Rob Cadle considers streetable. Slightly better gains the the C2s.

C3s- Require new springs and retainers. Race only, idle is reallly, really, rough. Better have a plastic liner on your seat, cause you gonna **** yourself!

[This message has been edited by Lyn Labahn (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like since I am staying NA and want/need a decent idle the C2 or S4 would be the best bet, but you said the C2 made "awsome' gains, does this mean alot more than the S4?

so now the question is S4 or C2? are there any graphs/charts to compare these 2? I would accept advice over a graph from the guys out here, it's how I've made all my mods thus far.

can I order the both of these from APEX or JWT?

Thanks for the hit back

Harp

[This message has been edited by mciin1 (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
GUPAMF 4 Life
1,240 Posts
Please get it right. The combo is C3 intake cam and C2 exhaust cam and good luck having JWT split up a set to sell to you. THey do not sell them individually like that. Also, the C3's are not that bad. I ran them with a stock ECU for almost 2 months daily driven. I drive in rush hour traffic about 30-45 minutes each way to work. With the ECU it's VERY VERY tolerable to me. THe idle feels like stock to me. Yeah, it does lope, but you don't feel it in the cabin.

Terrin
92 SE-R

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
Terrin, I was mearly listing the testing results from Mike and Rob. I didn't say c3 exhaust and c2 intake cam did I? Man, some of you guys are so touchy. Geeez.........

------------------
98 200SX SE-R, CAI, Greedy Exhaust, JWT Motor Mounts, Pullies, Nismo fuel press.reg, JWT C1 cams and JWT gears, Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers, ACT HD/PP, Clutchmasters Flywheel, JWT Computer,Bored Airflow Meter.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dougnosser:
Terrin, I was mearly listing the testing results from Mike and Rob. I didn't say c3 exhaust and c2 intake cam did I? Man, some of you guys are so touchy. Geeez.........

</font>
Doug,

I am sure Terrin did not mean any harm. i know Terrin personally and he is one of the good guys as are you. Let us not get angry at each other.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Registered
765 Posts
anybody have track times for the C2 cams? or the C2/C3 combo? j/w

------------------
'95 200SX SE-R - Jim Wolf Clutch, K&N, CN Catback Exhaust, CN strut bars, KYB AGX, Eibach ProKit, audio
'99 Prelude base - CAI, Greddy SP
'02 TL Type S - Stock

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
Sean, the car was a 94 sentra. That would be the low port. No dyno tuning was done. These were C2's straight out of the newspaper/saranwrap. Dre does use a tool to do some sort of tuning. Won't say what he does. You'll have to call him yourself for that one.

The s3's will put down some good numbers. With what you have done, you should put down about 142-147 to the wheels. This is just purely based on other listmembers #'s.

------------------
98 200SX SE-R, CAI, Greedy Exhaust, JWT Motor Mounts, Pullies, Nismo fuel press.reg, JWT C1 cams and JWT gears, Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers, ACT HD/PP, Clutchmasters Flywheel, JWT Computer,Bored Airflow Meter.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mciin1:
Well, made a call to JWT...

The S4's are also $560, but to run well, need the ECU upgrade.

[This message has been edited by mciin1 (edited 09-17-2001).]
</font>
The hell you do!
I've been running the S4 cams with the stock ECU on my car since January. Runs no different than my car before with the S3's and no ECU.

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

[This message has been edited by Storm88000 (edited 09-17-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Naji, have you done any tuning on your car with the new cams yet to get full potential out of them?

·
SR20 Enthusiast
480 Posts
Terrin, my sincere apologies. I should have read all the posts before opening my big mouth. Thanks Naji. Ok, as for the track times for the C2's..........Andreas ran his car with the following mods. Andreas custom cold induction
, Hotshot hybrid header
, RC Throttle body, 2.5" mandrel exhaust, Pullies, C2's, JWT ECU. He was able to muster a [email protected] out of the car. I was there. He did back this up with another 14.2 back to back. Both runs he felt he launched a little too hard b/c the slicks he was using were spinning all the way through first. He also stated that he felt the slicks were too large cause they were for nitrous runs more than anything. The car probably could have gotten a 14.1 easy with a couple more tries. These runs were done right off of the Florida Turnpike with no cool down period right before the track was closing. There is the whole story. I hope this helps.

------------------

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dougnosser:
Terrin, my sincere apologies. I should have read all the posts before opening my big mouth. Thanks Naji. Ok, as for the track times for the C2's..........Andreas ran his car with the following mods. Andreas custom cold induction
, Hotshot hybrid header
, RC Throttle body, 2.5" mandrel exhaust, Pullies, C2's, JWT ECU. He was able to muster a [email protected] out of the car. I was there. He did back this up with another 14.2 back to back. Both runs he felt he launched a little too hard b/c the slicks he was using were spinning all the way through first. He also stated that he felt the slicks were too large cause they were for nitrous runs more than anything. The car probably could have gotten a 14.1 easy with a couple more tries. These runs were done right off of the Florida Turnpike with no cool down period right before the track was closing. There is the whole story. I hope this helps.

</font>
Doug, What car was this done in a Classic, 200, sentra SE? Any dyno numbers? or dyno Tuning?

------------------
Sean
97 SE-R w/PR CAI,Unorthodox UP,AEBS Header, Courtesy Exhaust, Coming attractions: Toda Racing cams

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, made a call to JWT...

Looks like the most cost effective would be the S3's. They run the best without the upgraded ECU, don't need the clips/retainers and $560 aint bad for another mod.

The S4's are also $560, but to run well, need the ECU upgrade.

The C2's are also $560 but need the clips/retainers ($600) and upgraded ECU ($595).

So, are there any raw HP/Torque numbers on just the S3's somewhere? I'm sure one of you knowledgable people out there have those numbers floating around in your head.

Thanks for all the advice,

Harp

92NX, AEBS, UD/P, Pop intake, magnaflow muffler. S3 cams???? we'll see.

[This message has been edited by mciin1 (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
The hell you do!
I've been running the S4 cams with the stock ECU on my car since January. Runs no different than my car before with the S3's and no ECU.

</font>
So you recommend the S4 cams.. do they produce that much more power than the S3's?, have you done any other tuning to the engine to take into account for the cams? advanced timing? cam gear? can I just intall these puppies and waste SI's?

Thanks way tons for the hit back.

Harp
92NX, AEBS, UDpullies, pop intake, straight through muffla....

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mciin1:
So you recommend the S4 cams.. do they produce that much more power than the S3's?, have you done any other tuning to the engine to take into account for the cams? advanced timing? cam gear? can I just intall these puppies and waste SI's?
</font>
Yes I do reccomend them. The idle is maybe a hair worse than the S3's, but definately not noticeable unless you listen to two cars with the both cam sets idling next to each other. Barely any difference. BTW, you should probably be able to beat most Si's without the cams. They will only help you even more after

------------------
-Nuke the bastards-

Stormy
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Spings, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), Brembo X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli P700z's

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

[This message has been edited by Storm88000 (edited 09-18-2001).]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts