SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm doing a BB DET swap on my NX2000 in 2 months and I was wondering what kind of exhaust you guys are running? I understand that I need 3 inch all the way back from the downpipe, does anyone sell this whole thing for cheap? and how loud would the stock cat back be if I don't upgrade to 3"?(I'm still tryin to locate funds for engine and I might have to wait a while before I can afford exhaust)
TIA,
Nick

·
Registered
263 Posts
The stock catback would be quieter than it would be now, considering the turbo will soak up some the exhaust noise. As caution, do not get hard on the car with the stock cat back, it will put Tremendous back pressure on the turbo. Upgrade to the 3inch ASAP. If you want it to be quiet, use the longest glasspack/resonator that can fit, then use the longest muffler you can fit under the trunk, then follow that up with a resonated tip. If you can get away with it, I would try and elminate you cat, it will improve perfomance a lot when using a turbo.

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
Yep, exactly what he said. When I did a BB DET in my NX, I had a custom mandrel bent 3" exhaust system done at a muffler shop. To get the best results, including best power and least noise (and it will still be somewhat loud no matter what you do), do exactly what Lyn said... get the longest components you can get your hands on. Get a 24" long muffler, get a 20" long or longer glasspack midpipe, and get the longest 3" diameter cat you can find.

Make sure all the components are 3" components, and that they're all straight through. Combine all that with some nice 3" mandrel bent piping and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so does anyone(Greddy,HKS...?? ) make a kit for our Nissans( I know they make them for the Zs and 240s) or are we on our own to custom make our cat backs?

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
For my NX I had the exhaust system done at Valley Muffler, in El Monte CA. I don't recommend them though, it wasn't all that great of a job and they took forever. But my SE-R has an exhaust system that was done by a shop near SR20 Development... I can't remember the name right now, but they are 100% pro. My exhaust system now is just fantastic. They even fabbed me up a test pipe, and painted my muffler outlet black to match the car... it looks damn good and it's all custom made to fit.

1BAD_NX, there are no full downpipe-back exhaust systems made for our cars, it's going to have to be done custom. You can use any components you want to though, because the piping is going to have to be custom made anyway.

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
Zak, I hate to ask, but what was the pricing like? I'm not necessarily looking for dollar amounts (although that would be cool too
), but just wondering if it was pretty pricey.

------------------
David De Anda
Turbo Sentra SE
HTA Drag Squad

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, sometimes it makes me wish I had a honda so I can just go out and buy a kit. J/k, I think that takes all the fun out of tuning. Anyway, so how deep did this mod get in to you turbo guys pockets? I'm willing to pay no more than $500, does that sound reasonable??
thanks,
Nick

[This message has been edited by 1BAD_NX (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
We brought my car and a Bullet resonator and a Random Tech cat to the exhaust shop. The shop supplied a glasspack midpipe, mandrel bent all the piping, they created a test pipe and a muffler replacement pipe too, painted it all black, welded all the hooks on for the stock exhaust system mounts, and I paid a total of $400. I was only too happy to pay it, considering it included not only the piping but some components as well, including a test pipe!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn, that sounds like a really sweet deal. I think Im gonna suck it up and take a 5hour drive up to Jason G. Young's shop and see if I can get a hook up. I heard that he's real good at this. Im probably gonna get the engine and everything swapped by him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts