SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which clutch would you all get ACT, Clutchmaster, Centerforce, or Clutchnet(supposively they make Centerforce), what stage would you get and where would get it from? Thanks for any help, Brad

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I'm going with the ACT street/strip clutch when the time comes.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
Registered
782 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sr20de4dr:
Which clutch would you all get ACT, Clutchmaster, Centerforce, or Clutchnet(supposively they make Centerforce), what stage would you get and where would get it from? Thanks for any help, Brad</font>

What kind of HP figures are you going to produce? The JWT P/PL is manufactured by Clutch Masters. I would advise any one to try and stay away throm the JWT/Clutch Masters setup if you are trying to produce high hp figures (240+ hp)! The ACT Street Setup consists of HD P/PL and Organic/Metallic Sprung Hubbed Disc. It has held up to 300+ hp on Jay Hassinger's car and has held up well on Joe Ippolito's DET powered 200SX! I would go with the ACT!

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1497569&a=11327630

Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
349.6 hp & 288.9 ft/lb @ 19 psi, 13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (7-9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Sumitomo 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

[This message has been edited by APEXSER (edited 03-20-2001).]

·
Registered
705 Posts
clutchmasters for me when the time comes that i need one.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jayac:
If all you have is bolt on, then save your money and just get a stock clutch.</font>
Muahahahah....are you saying that a new aftermarket clutch wont help your driving if you are NA?! thats a dumb thing to say. I have a stock now, and i cant wait till it dies. Ive driven freinds cars with new clutches, and its much easier/enjoyable!!!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Louis, Jay's car has been dynoed at 409 hp.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
Registered
222 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RPWSER:
Ive driven freinds cars with new clutches, and its much easier/enjoyable!!!

</font>
OK, so back yourself up, tell me how? I cant imagine that an aftermarket clutch will give you that much of a benefit unless you have lots of HP. Anybody else care to explain? Is it in how it engages?

Jason

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only thing I know is I tried to buy a Clutchmasters from Lightning motor sports, and THEY SUCK!!! I left three messages on their answering machine in the span of one day. I tried calling back right at the end of their business day, and the line was busy. I hit redial and I got their answering machine....AGAIN!!! I'm trying to arrange payment with a guy on the SE-R.net site for his brand new ACT street/strip clutch

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I've driven an SE-R with the ACT street/strip clutch. You have to use more force to engage it than the OEM clutch and the pedal travel is much less, translating into quicker shifts. The clutch is still very streetable though and isn't too stiff.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, Ryan
...Maybe someday, I can stop worrying about something breaking on this car, and just be able to drive it like it should be driven
How's the weather down there? It's snowing here...again....

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Holy ****......are you guys serious? A high-performance clutch is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better even on a minor bolt-on SE-R than the POS stock one!!! The stock one sucks. It can chatter and slip after awhile, has shitty engagement, and won't bark the tires like the high performance ones do.

I had the JWT pressure plate w/ stock disc combo on my 91 SE-R, man was that fun! It engaged really close to the floor (which I like unlike my shitty ass 98 clutch) and I could even chirp from 2nd into 3rd with just the bolt-ons. Never buy the stock clutch, it sucks, even for normal driving.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at Englishtown, NJ - with the $hitty stock cams, 14's this season

·
Registered
705 Posts
OK, so back yourself up, tell me how? I cant imagine that an aftermarket clutch will give you that much of a benefit unless you have lots of HP. Anybody else care to explain? Is it in how it engages?

Jason
</font>
Havent driven a car with an aftermarket clutch have you, pal?! They engage smoother. They engage quicker, and there is less pedal travel, which allows for better shifts, which allows better track times(less time and energy wasted shifting!!!) Do yourself the favor and drive a car wiht a good clutch...you'll understand.

------------------

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well, if I come across someone with one of the clutches you guys are talkin about, I'll try to get behind the wheel. In the meantime, what to do with this new OEM clutch on my floor.

Jason

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jay,
Are you coming to E-town on the 31st of this month? I have a JWT Pressure plate with stock disk. I would be more than happy to let you drive mine. If you like it all you have to do is buy the JWT PP and you have everything else.

------------------
MarC

hood made transparent for your viewing pleasure http://members.home.net/mnmanderson/Publish/
AIM SER96MarC

·
Registered
705 Posts
Well, if I come across someone with one of the clutches you guys are talkin about, I'll try to get behind the wheel. In the meantime, what to do with this new OEM clutch on my floor.

Jason
</font>
Put it on ebay or se-r.net classifieds, some will snatch it up no doubt!

------------------

·
Registered
222 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ser_200sx:
Jay,
Are you coming to E-town on the 31st of this month?
</font>
Your talkin about the autox right? Yeah I'll go and meet you there. Im dying to do another autox anyways.
Anybody else in the area wanna meet up?

Jason

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
On an NA car you do not need more than an ACT HDPP and the street disk that they sell. I got the ACT Xtreme and that was a mistake. It is stiff. Thank god the car is not my daily driver.

As for the engagement of the clutch. When I am hotlapping I like to press my clutch 1/2-3/4 in and shift. That will give fast crips shifts, especially with a hard to press plate. If you are drag racing, my opinion would be to get your clutch to engage early, so you have to press the clutch all the way in when you shift. I would think that you will launch the car better with a clutch that engages early.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts