Votes: 8 16.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Redline oil is best for our trannys(With NA for now....: )? Please complete the survey along with a reason...thanks guys...:D

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Com'on guys....

I know you guys have some expierence with these oils...help me out!!!:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
MT90 is the fluid to use. 75w-90 and MT90 are the same thing.

·
VE powered
556 Posts
eric96ser said:
MT90 is the fluid to use. 75w-90 and MT90 are the same thing.
Are you sure? The local auto parts store stocks some redline but not MT90. I remember reading the bottles to find out which one to use instead.... I know one of them was for GL-5 (which I think was the 75w-90). I ended up getting MTL because it was rated GL-4.

Steve

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
I bought mt90 (which is gl-4) for my tranny. When I was doing research for what tranny fluid would be best, I just remember learning that gl-5 is bad for our synchronizers as a result of the addition of certain additives to improve gear protection. Just make sure that you use a gl-4 rated fluid if you worry about synchronizers. gl-5 provides better protection for gears though. I remember lots of people saying don't use mtl since its viscosity grade is not within the spec that the FSM recommends.

-saaby

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
i ran Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90, which is a GL-5 oil. the car would grind when shifting into 1st at anything above 5mph without some serious rev matching. also, i blew up my tranny on an NA motor with this stuff in there. i would defintely recommend using the MT90, it is a lot better and makes the tranny shift A LOT better. it also smells like strawberries, instead of that nasty gear oil smell.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
where can I find this MT90 stuff and how much is it?
I have Mobil 1 in there now and I think its killing my car!!!

·
VE powered
556 Posts
I actually called redline (800-624-7958) and asked what I should be using. Without hesitation the guy recommended MT-90. MTL would do in a pinch in cold to moderate climates.

Steve

·
8,148 Posts
If the car is a track whore or a big HP monster I would suggest 75W140. I hear this weight has saved many a tranny from breaking 3rd gear. Otherwise MTL is the way to go.

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
autoxer7 said:

Check out the redline website at redline oil for a list of dealers. Should be about $8-9 a quart.

Steve
you can get it from http://www.myoilshop.com for $7 a quart, and you can get a 10% discount by putting in dealer code 675421 . I'm getting a case of the oil myself. I'm also getting some other stuff like the wetter watter...:D :p :eek:

·
Registered
723 Posts
is gear oil the same as manual transmission oil? i have 2 qt of some Castrol Syntec 75w90 "gear oil"...

i have that really really bad unwilling-to-go-into-1st problem and i want it cured =/

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Limited Slip said:
is gear oil the same as manual transmission oil? i have 2 qt of some Castrol Syntec 75w90 "gear oil"...

i have that really really bad unwilling-to-go-into-1st problem and i want it cured =/
Yes, the transmission oil on www.myoilshop.com is gear oil

The MT-90 will work in your tranny...are you looking at www.myoilshop.com?:cool:

·
Registered
723 Posts
i just bought the castrol syntehtic oil at the oreillys.

it seems as if, according to redline, gear oil is for the differential and the tranny oil is for gearbox =/

i dunno if i should pour this stuff in

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Limited Slip said:
i just bought the castrol syntehtic oil at the oreillys.

it seems as if, according to redline, gear oil is for the differential and the tranny oil is for gearbox =/

i dunno if i should pour this stuff in
If it says "GL-4" somewhere on the back...then it will work OK, but if it doesn't say GL-4 an only says GL-5, then *I* would stay away from it...;)

·
Registered
723 Posts
hrm ill get some Redline MT then. but i dont know of any localplace tht acrries it and i dont want to have to wait for shipping from buying on interent

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Limited Slip said:
hrm ill get some Redline MT then. but i dont know of any localplace tht acrries it and i dont want to have to wait for shipping from buying on interent
What does the Castrol stuff say, GL-4 or GL-5? If its GL-4 you can probably use it untill you get the REDLINE stuff in the mail...it costs 6.30 a quart from www.myoilshop.com ...read up in my postings an find the dealer code you have to put in...

·
Registered
723 Posts
hrm its gl5 and i just spent 15 bux on it :eek:

id get the MT but i dont wanna have to put up with billing and waiting for shipping and stuff :x

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.