SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm expecting a HUGE response to this question:

Does it matter which DET to get? Bluebird, GTiR?

What is the best bangforbuck DET setup?

What's the best way to get it in there w/out custom modifications? (like front-mount IC, etc.)

[Edited by Jason92Classic (11-25-2000 at 05:42 PM).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
All info. care of SE-R mailing list post:

The GTI-r comes with about 25 more horsepower than the others (2 lbs of boost more).
It has a stronger bottom end, I've read, and bigger injectors, bigger turbo and a quad throttle body setup.
They say it would actually cost more to get the other DET's up to par with this one, than if you just forked over the extra when you buy it.
I say GTI-r, if you can find one...

Take care,
ryan
'96 SE-R w/ bolted goodies

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Unless you are a avid mechanic that can gauge the shims on a mechanical lifter setup i would stay far away from the GTi-R motor. if you dont plan on racing it, its also semi pointless. While its beefer its not well suited for daily driver. The mechanical lifters in the engine to allow for higher reving in theory, but its also required to adjust them quite frenquently. so unless you are willing to have someone work on your engine for probaly 30dollars an hour type of labor just to make sure the lifters are properly shimmed.

there is nothing wrong with getting the BB motor. its only a few hp less but still has many of the beefy parts, not much you can change and keep the block close to the same. IMHO the GTi-R isnt worth the extra money, unless you are in a dick waving contest and you are so bent up on saying you have a GTi-R motor

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
the gti-r engine does have a bigger turbo and lower compression, meaning, bigger boost down the line. but ya, the gti-r is a bitch to keep running good, unless you are constantly maintaining it (witch you should do anyway, right?)

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, I dont wanna hafta work on it everyDAY so I'm thinking Bluebird... whaddaya'll think?

Another question: what about this option vs. going the FMAX or another kit option?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well i would rather go BB if you are going swap. but the fmax kit would probaly be easier but not cheaper. if your engine is in good shape it should work just fine. and have the possiblity of big numbers. but if you dont have any problems with the engine i would consider a bolt on isntead of a swap.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Bluebird does kick some serious ass. My car and Ben Moses's DETized 92 are VERY close in power, and this **** is FAST. Stock boost, without exhaust restricions and LONG ASS IC piping make 203hp and 194ft-lbs AT THE WHEELS. With the stock MAF you can run 3-5psi more says Mike Kojima. Ben Moses and I will be experimenting with that ourselves this spring. 250hp at the crank with a DET or the castrated DET parts on a DE like my setup should be really easy with a full 3" exhaust (stock cat should be ok still) and a boost controller (manual or electronic) maxxing the boost til your MAF hits 5.1V. I'm hoping for 250 at the wheels though.
Maybe if I clean my K&N and get my IC pipes welded or something

FMAX kits must be crazy dude. With 175hp and 178ft-lbs at the wheels I have no traction in 1st and have problems with it in 2nd from 3.5k to 6k with 205/50-15 Toyo Proxes T1+ which are supposed to be GREAT in dry traction. Definitely would have to be getting some SERIOUS meat for wheels and tires with some SERIOUS fender rolling and wheel offsets.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Oh, and best bang-for-the-buck setup is the used BB DET parts bolted to your DE. Should be able to get them for less than $1500 including JWT ECU, according to my experience and that PNWnissanser guy on the list that's doing it now. Next in line is the BB DET swap I think. How much for a basic FMAX kit? What kind of power you get from the basic FMAX kit?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts