SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a stainless cat for my upcoming exhaust install. Must bolt to a Hotshot header in front and a Pacesetter (I know, I know) cat-back in the rear. NO WELDING! I don't know if exhaust flanges are more or less universal, but if not then I need something that fits.

Anybody know where to get this type of thing, and how much?

TIA

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
WEll, as far as i know you can either hook up a random technologies stainless steel cat, or you can go with a dynomax super converter, which is also high flow and stainless steel, but it does cost less then the random tech cat. Hope that helps!!

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
how much is a catalytic converter from random technologies?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Stine said:
Looking for a stainless cat for my upcoming exhaust install. Must bolt to a Hotshot header in front and a Pacesetter (I know, I know) cat-back in the rear. NO WELDING! I don't know if exhaust flanges are more or less universal, but if not then I need something that fits.

TIA
If your current cat is in good working condition, save your money. The SE-R's stock cat is pretty high-flowing already (2.5" at the flange, going to 3" inside), and there won't be any power to be had with an aftermarket cat. Now, if your cat is near death, a Random Technology cat would be a good replacement... I believe they are around $200. Check Random Tech's website (www.randomtechnology.com).

--Andrew Phan

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the issue - I am replacing the headers with Hotshots in a few weeks. I want to replace the cat-back as well. My cat is rusty and although I am sure it works fine (passed emmissions last year) I just figured I'd do the whole damn thing at once - has nothing to do with gains. The problem is this - ProjectSE-R is selling me the headers, and he is going out of his way to be nice and help me with the install, BUT we will not have access to welding equipment or a shop. This must be a strictly bolt-together affair.

So, are the Random Tech and Dynomax both bolt-up?

Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Stine said:

So, are the Random Tech and Dynomax both bolt-up?
Random Tech, yes... not sure about Dynomax. Would be a good idea to call or e-mail Random Tech for the part number.

--Andrew Phan

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well, i'm not sure if you're interested- but I have a stainless steel resonated test pipe with flanges made by TOPSPEED(same people who manufacture the COURTESY Nissan b-pipe). It's been laying around for a while now still in the wrapper. It's for 91-97 SE-Rs only. I have a 99 and my stock cat is 1" longer than pre-98 cats, so the pipe doesn't fit. There are 2 drawbacks: 1)there is no bung on the test pipe for a rear O2 senesor, you would need a bung/nut welded on to use your rear O2 sensor. 2)the inlet/outlet size is 2.5", but because it's resonated-it tapers down to 1 3/4" inside. Bought it for $100, im selling for $50 shipped if anyone's interested.
Very similar to cat in this pic:
http://www.racingsoul.com/detailinfo.asp?no=439

Stine said:

TIA
Fred
99 Sentra SE

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fred -

Is this a cat or not? The link you posted shows an actual cat. If it's a cat I'd be interested, if not I can't use it - emissions testing here in OH.

If it's a cat, does it have the flanges like in the picture? I'd really like to see a pic of what you've got. Also, how long is it (in inches)?

Anyone else want to take a swing at my above questions?

TIA

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sorry, in the link it says CAT REP for "CAT REPLACEMENT PIPE" same as a test pipe. It uses 2 2-bolt flanges and is 12 1/4" long. I bought it from a place that sells the same product as the link I provided.

Here's some pics I took(sorry, might take awhile):

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
FRED, how much HP increase does this give? Does it "raise" your 1/4 time.....hehe...sorry, I couldn't resist...lookhere

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hehehe thats some funny $hiT:D
About the cat, its never been on my car.
Im running 70shot nitrous and heard sometimes it will burn out the cat. That's the only reason why I bought the test pipe. Probably no gains at all on a N/A car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts