SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that would be the end of breaking problems and it would be good because of lightweight inertia.does anyone know if a set of crossdrilled rotors are lighter than stock?if someone did make titanium axels they would probaly be a grand or better though.

·
Banned
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats cool i had no idea anyone made these for our cars.what i would want them for is for is bedcause they would be lighter

·
Registered
679 Posts
I will give you a couple of good reason why you don't want titanium axles on your car:

1. Super expensive
2. Titanium will NOT hold up to the daily abuse. Steel will.

The second is the reason why not alot of automotive parts are made from Ti. Titanium is good for race, but not for a DD.
-Tim

·
Registered
746 Posts
i'd rather have an axle break than my transmission.

·
Banned
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
u and me both redline i shreak at the thought of my transmission going on me

·
-John-
690 Posts
i heard that titanium is one of the softer metals and that is why they do not use it for most engine internals. I don't know this for sure but I was told it softened up quite a bit due to heat or any stress.

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
it is as strong as steel, but about 45% lighter and it is 60% heavier than aluminum but 2 times as strong. the reason they dont use it as much with internal parts i would not be sure. it is one of the most resistent to corrusion metals. i think the reason it isnt used is because titanuim is not a very flexible metal, it is springy (i.e titanuim valve springs) but not very flexible (i know we dont want flex) but basicle normal steel would obsorb alittle force making it more durable where as titanium would not obsorb much force making it britte and easily cracked or broken off... titanium mixed with magnesium is a good LIGHT WIEGHT stong durable metal but usually not worth the price ( magnesium titanium rims are what is used on the mclaren f1, those rimes must cost a **** load !) and titanium is veryy resistant to heat. but why exactally it isnt used for pistons or rods im not sure, but its probobly just not as durable for everyday use

it is much more effective with use with other metals some porsche engines use titanium in the blocks . and you all know about titanium valves and springs.. some street bikes use titanium rods and pistons i believe because they are high revving short strock hp machines. and i also read titanuim is harder to cast than other metals.

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
ohh yea they also use titanium allllott in fireworks for nice color lol !!!

they do make titanuim rods that are usally about 2 to 3 times as much as a nice forged rod! i found some for sb 350 applications were normal forged rods were 260 these were 590 a piece! wow

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am sorry, but there are a few cars that use titanium for stock engine parts. Take the Ferrari F40. The car had titanium rods, springs, retainers, etc. The Mclaren does not use a Ti/Mg wheels. The only thing on the car that is an exotic mix of Ti is the exhaust, which is Titanium-Inconel.

Plain and simple, Titanium will strech. Think about the SR71 Blackbird. What was the "skin" on that made from...Titanium. When the jet is on the ground it leaks fuel from everywhere, yet when it is flying at speed the skin will expand up to 1/2" and seal itself. This is why it is not a choice metal in automotive engines...except for race engines. I used to work with this metal, and many of it's alloys everyday, trust me on this one.
-Tim

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
i am not talking about the 1997 mclaren f1 road car\race car. those wheels are magnesium. but the enkei's that are on the f1 mp4-17 are a lightweight 13 inch wheel made of magnesium and titanium. atleast this is what ive read alot of places. the domanint metal is magnesium but there is titanium in them. like what ive said ive read this a couple times from sites talking about the f1 car so it could be false but look it up and u will find a couple sites talkin about it. search mclaren f1 titanium magnesium rims.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
heat

i was always under the impression that titanium wasnt that resistant to high heat
-seth

sr20veb13 said:
i am not talking about the 1997 mclaren f1 road car\race car. those wheels are magnesium. but the enkei's that are on the f1 mp4-17 are a lightweight 13 inch wheel made of magnesium and titanium. atleast this is what ive read alot of places. the domanint metal is magnesium but there is titanium in them. like what ive said ive read this a couple times from sites talking about the f1 car so it could be false but look it up and u will find a couple sites talkin about it. search mclaren f1 titanium magnesium rims.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Titanium is much stronger then Steel! It is not as light as aluminum but it comes close. I dont see why i wouldnt make a good DD to have these on your car. You wouldnt be able to tell the difference between stock or the titanium shafts. And if your running the power to brake your stock tranny then its time you upgrade it to an aftermarket one!

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
DisBeBrand0n said:
Titanium is much stronger then Steel! It is not as light as aluminum but it comes close. I dont see why i wouldnt make a good DD to have these on your car. You wouldnt be able to tell the difference between stock or the titanium shafts. And if your running the power to brake your stock tranny then its time you upgrade it to an aftermarket one!

titanium is stronger but not "much" stronger some say 10% stronger others say 40% i say it all depends on the steel composite. research and youll see. what i wrote down in my thread about titanium was actuall from a site research on titanium. it can withstand extremes in tempature. ohh and what i stated above says nothing about it being lighter than aluminum ??? it says clearly it is 45% lighter than steel and 60% HEAVIER than aluminum. it is closer to steel than it is aluminum

read this http://pearl1.lanl.gov/periodic/elements/22.html its a gov. site about titanium

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
DisBeBrand0n said:
what i posted above wasnt in regards to yours... but a few combined ;)

either way its better then both IMO!

thats what i think !!! i want the crap from x men !! anamantium.. lol make a whole engine out of it !! here comes 80 psi of boost lol!!!

·
Banned
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i just wish i had a set of light weight axels and a set of drilled rotors and a set of magnesium wheels then i would be on the next level

1 - 20 of 29 Posts