SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Autohouse Import Factory
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ight I need a little help from the experts; I have a SR20DE with a Blurbird Kit(turbo, manifold, etc). Went to Ft. Lauderdale to Front Mount and also added a Nismo regulator and S-AFC(5 knob). On the way back I noticed the car was running extra rich. The next morning when I started the car up, White Smoke was dumping from the turbo, downpipe, and the exhaust. Further research showed that my #2 injectors O-ring was bad and it was dumping gas into the cylinder all the way home the previous night. The motor eventually seized due to the amount of fuel in the cylinder. Took out the spark plugs and tuned the ignition to get the fuel out; Now the engine is free of fuel but now the car wont start......

My first question is whats the white smoke mean, Im figuring blown head gasket or burn piston rings. What do ya'll think???

Second, why wont the car start back up now that I got the fuel out of the cylinder???

Last, assuming I need to do replace my O-rings or Head gasket, how much Im I looking to pay to get new pistons, rings and headgaskts put in, just on labor? Anybody have any recommendations on a shop I can take the car to in Orlando?

Any reply would help
Thanks

·
91 SER Richmond, VA
888 Posts
White smoke is water/coolant. So you either fried the turbo's water rings (or whatever you call em) or its the headgasket. But I dont see why the headgasket would blow to be honest. If you want to check, take off the radiator cap and run the car. If you see a lot of bubbles/oil in the antifreeze, then the headgasket is blown. Thats all I can think of right now.

-Mike

·
SE-R Searcher
1,861 Posts
when you say engine seized it sounds really bad. do you mean that it just turned off? Check the radiator as stated, another tell tail sign of a blown head gasket is overheating. Usually the car will still start even when the gasket is bad. I'm not really sure why the car wont start, did you put the fuel pump fuse back in?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Do you have an EGT gauge? Is it possible that so much fuel was being dumped into the cylinder that alot of fuel was being burnt in the exhaust manifold/turbo. The turbo was probably an insane temperature and is toast. That is where your smoking turbo would come from.

Not sure about the motor not starting. Is it "seized" or can you turn the car over by hand?

·
I like the boost!
419 Posts
No, by seized he means Hydrostatic lockup.

I.E. Liquid doesn't compress. Cylinder full of fuel.

He very well could have blown a head gasket. Because the fuel had nowhere to go, but out through the headgasket.

I would check the compression first.

Then pull off the turbo and have it checked out.

The overheated turbo idea is very plausable.

Always lube up those injector o-rings man!!

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
FYI: White smoke=coolant, blue smoke=oil black smoke=fuel

thats a handy thing to know :)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
It is very easy to mix up the blue smoke and the white smoke, are you getting a LOT of white smoke, as in...if it was a water faucet, it would be all the way on, or just 1/2 way on ( or less?) it might just be your oil seals on the turbo, or oil in your intercooler pipes. I know we thought my friend had white smoke, but it turned out to be his oil seals, I guess the smoke was blue.........?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
SE-Rican said:
Just for info what shop installed the S-AFC and piping? I am just curious. Also check your oil dip stick. If you see chocolate milk then its your head gasket.
So THATS where chocolate milk comes from!!!!!!!

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Crono1321 said:
It is very easy to mix up the blue smoke and the white smoke
Very true!

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
yeah, serious oil burning is white.

if it hangs in the air, its oil.

you check your oil level? you could have so much fuel in the crankcase, that its making the oil level too high for anything to happen. probably why it siezed as well.

either way, if you stop an engine from turning WHILE its running, i would say its toast. you probably bent some rods, and you now have a custom ultra low compression motor. does the starter sound like its not struggling at all to turn the motor?

btw, its cheaper to get a used JDM motor for about $300 and put it in instead of replacing engine internals.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I think it's oil leaking on the downpipe and making the smoke. I have the same problem too due to many oil leaks i haven't yet fixed :(

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
sr20det808 said:
I think it's oil leaking on the downpipe and making the smoke. I have the same problem too due to many oil leaks i haven't yet fixed :(
yes, but i dont think you siezed your engine from vapor lock. that generally isnt very good for the motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts