SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking of making an oil cooler setup that wont affect oil pressure at all, but its going to be about $400-450 by the time all the parts are ordered. anyone interested?

i am also thinking of making one for transmission fluid, tranny cases can get upwards of 230*, which means the fluid temps are nearing the 300* mark. mike k was telling me his "dog car" was shearing the fluid to a water-like uselessness on a fairly regular basis.

both kits would include thermostats to keep from overcooling the oil.

·
<>< Jesus is the Answer
5,518 Posts
sounds like a good idea but funds wont allow me to do that for a while.

·
No soup for you
2,266 Posts
I'm down Steve. Let me know! I'm to lazy for designing all that kinda stuff :tongue:
John

Now I just have to think of a place I could mount the damn thing.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
an oil filter sandwhich plate is something i dont want to do. my setup will have NO negative effect on oil pressure. sandwich plates generally drop oil pressure (or, it stays the same, but that is because the oil is cooler and thicker). i just dont trust the stock oil pump with additional duties, i already barely see 75-80 psi at redline when warm.

it will also have a thermostat so that it will allow the car to warm up quickly.

i will also be making a fiberglass funnel as an option that will replace the foglight hole. this will channel air directly into the cooler core, making it extrememly effecient. the funnel will be shaped so that rocks cannot directly hit the heat exchanger as well.

the kit will also be adapted later for tranny use, with a similiar (mirrored) funnel.

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
Interesting, are you going to use an accusump system to keep oil pressure up? Cause you can use that with just about any sanswich plate or remote sender and keep oil PSI up. Looks like a cool idea man. I just don't have the $350-$400 to cover it right now.

Brent

·
pimpin since 03!
1,348 Posts
cnynracer1 said:
Sentra guys are cheap.
:(

good idea! i like anything that prolongs the life of your car... i might be able to come up with the money if i se a completed product with mounting places and hardware....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys, if you don't mind losing some boot (errr trunk... doh) space, then maybe a dry sump would be a nice idea. Could be rather expensive though.

daz

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dry sump would be well north of $1000, maybe $2000. not good for sentra guys who spent like $2000 for their car, ****. :D

gimme a couple of weeks, and you guys will see this ****.

·
Witness The Power Of AWD!
819 Posts
there was a thread in general with a complete new front cover for the RWD sr20's which removed the oil pump and water pump.

I plan on removing my water pump and power steering.

I like the sound of a drysump and oil cooler. I wouldnt be in the market for something like that till later on this year or early next. Do they make electric oil pumps? Would just get a larger alternator to help things out.

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
nite-stalker said:
can you spill your idea so i can go and research on the parts?
just have patience and you will see. i have been researching this for months now, it hasnt been fun. i am not going to do all that work, come up with an idea, only to have someone else copy my hard work. come up with your own idea and market it.

once its out, you can attempt to copy it and figure out what i did, for cheaper, but i doubt you will be able to do so.

·
easy 400WHP
12,682 Posts
Ill be running an oil cooler with a Mocal thermostat and a remote oil filter mount, but at the same time i will be upgrading to the higher pressure oil pump setup... Kind of a spendy route (not as expensive as dry sump :tongue:) but should be pretty effective nonetheless. I suppose for those running a stock oilpump this would be a good venture... :cool:

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you can get a mechanical thermostat from summit for like $40.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just curious how a tranny oil cooler works for our setups. I thought that the gears just sat in a bath of oil and the spinning action coated the gears fairly evenly. I didn't think that there was a pump or flow pattern that you could place a cooler in series with, like the block oil cooler. I run a oil filter relocation kit, mostly to make oil changes easy on a turbo AC classic. I would be interested in the tranny oil cooler when I upgrade the tranny to a cryoed/shot peened unit. I would like that to last.

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
It isn't a tranny cooler. It is a motor oil cooler.

BRent

1 - 20 of 58 Posts