SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o.k., i'm trying to put together a decent, 'quiet' exhaust. but one that is still an improvement over stock. i was thinking of starting with the b-pipe from courtesy, then adding a muffler later. is this b-pipe noisy? is it a good quality piece? other impressions?

thanks in advance
bryan

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
The B-pipe isn't noisy itself. It's the muffler its attached to

------------------
Stormy
Black 1998 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies

www.WhiteLineRacing.com

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Courtesy B-pipe is a quality, Stainless, mandrel-bent, 2.5" diameter mid-pipe. It removes the bottleneck that occurs as exhaust gases try to exit the 2.5" exit of the cat and enter the approx. 1.5" diameter OE midpipe.

It has a resonator several inches behind the cat to help reduce noise. However, the increased diameter WILL increase the decibels emanating from your exhaust - physics in action. If you have a header, as I do, your exhaust note will be even louder.

As for improved performance, it is a step in the right direction. When I added the b-pipe and muffler(Courtesy), I banged against the rev-limiter (in happy surprise) on my first hard launch. The rpm's continued to accelerate past 5K, rather than tapering off as they had with the stock section.

If you do choose to purchase the Courtesy muffler section, you may be disappointed. The section of the muffler pipe that meets the b-pipe necks down to STOCK diameter - a concession to allow the b-pipe to also mate with stock muffler sections. I recently had this section cut off and replaced with straight 2.5" diameter stainless pipe.

CB

·
Registered
765 Posts
Chris, I have the CN catback exhaust, and was also interested in removing the restriction right where the Bpipe meets the muffler. ~How much did this work cost, which shop did you take it to, and did they put another Flange on there or just weld it all together?

Thanks,
Matt

------------------
'95 200SX SE-R - Jim Wolf Clutch, flat K&N, CN Catback Exhaust, CN strut bars, sound system
'99 Prelude base - CAI, Greddy SP
'02 TL Type S - Stock

·
Registered
254 Posts
Matt,

I talked with the mechanic after we got the car up on the rack. I decided to replace both flanges with a single, welded, stainless pipe section. This will make it much more difficult to remove in the future, but I do not foresee a need to.

I also had him cut off the monster tip and replace it with a section of 3" stainless pipe. A little quieter, and a lot less conspicuous. In fact, I may paint the muffler flat black in the future.

In all, including heating and bending the hangers for a more snug fit, it cost $100. Not too bad for stainless.

The shop is here in Atlanta. Only place I currently know of that does stainless, though I'm sure a few others do.

CB

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the responses, I'll get the b-pipe for now, and decide on the muffler next month. I'm pretty sure that I'm choking up the horsepower when I kick in the nitrous on the stock, crushed bent exhaust! :)

G

·
0 Posts
The nissan pipe is the best according to a test on ser.net.

For crushed exhaust.

I dropped my motorcycle and squashed my pipe off the header to half the diameter. The freakin bike runs exactly the same. I was even looking of less power but nope its all there. Reflections on that ****?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts