SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done installing this piece. What a pain!! But the benefits....WOW!!

my problem is that now their is a little rattling/vibrating sound that happens when driving or accelerating in the 2000 rpm - 3500 rpm range. it's irritating. has anybody else with this brace experienced any additional noise or vibration after installing this brace?

i tried putting 2 layers of dynamat between the crossmember and the plate that the u-bolts connect to, no luck, same amount of noise.

any help would be greatly appreciated :). thanks in advance

later
bryan

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey novtech, good luck breaking the control arm bolts loose :). i swear they were torqued to 200 ft. lbs. !! (i'm probably exaggerating).

then the next fun part is lining up the bolts again when you're trying to put it all back together. you'll see what i mean when you get there. heh, heh.

the results.....like i said, WOW. i can fly through the turns now, this car does not understeer anymore! i have a audi/quattro day i'm going to on friday the 20th at PIR, so i will see what kind of difference it makes when i'm racing full out against A4's, S4's, and whatever else decides to show up :).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Those instructions are okay, but one thing it doesn't tell you is that you must have the car on the ground, or at least normal load on the control arms before you tighten up the control arm bolts. If you torque them down with no load, you will bind the bushings up when you lower the car and/or drive it. That's the best way to have to install it all over again and have the joy of installing new bushings too. I'm making a web page and I will put instructions with pictures up when its done.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so novtech, any noise so far? if it's not the brace, the only thing i can think of is that my flex pipe or something is rubbing against the brace.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
No noise at all. You may want to check and see if your header is touching the U bolts. I have about a 1/4" between the two.

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
Registered
353 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nitrous_50:
Just got done installing this piece. What a pain!! But the benefits....WOW!!
</font>
Hmmm, I've put a couple of them on and always found they fit very well.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
my problem is that now their is a little rattling/vibrating sound that happens when driving or accelerating in the 2000 rpm - 3500 rpm range. it's irritating.
Probably a section of your exhaust is touching the bar. Get some heater hose and wrap it around the brace to keep it from touching the exhaust.

Rob
No, I'm not "Classic SE-R" (why are two names so similar allowed to be taken?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts