SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i blew my motor today and i don't know why it blew. It was a 98 w/83000mi with just a intake and muffler. I'll admit i was driving a bit hard in the mountains, but nothing outragous. It had the right amount of oil in it , and everything else seemed to be ok. I was in the middle of a long tight left turn up around 6500rpm's and it started knocking. I pulled over to check it out. I realised something was very wrong so i tried to nurse it down the mountain but i was creeping up the last hill when it oil and smoke went everywhere. My rod from my #3 was sticking through the block smiling up at me. What caused this can anyone tell me??

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
My guess would be that you had oil starvation during the long hard corning. Basically, the oil was pushed to one side of the oil pan and didn't make it to the oil pick-up. So no oil pressure, spun a bearing and threw a rod. That's just a guess though....

Khiem

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i figured the G-forces were not outragous. The lenth of that turn and the high RPM's . I don't know, it still puzzles me to why it blew.That seems like the most reasonable explanation.
If anyone else has any suggestions just let me know.

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Sorry to hear about your engine, man. But it does sound like the curve did it in. Same thing happened to Ron A. and his insane turbo 200SX at a track event (Jay H.'s old car). What kind of oil were you running? I would only stick with Mobil 1 or Castrol. I've never heard any complaints from anyone running those 2 oils.

Anyways...this is a blessing in disguise! Time to go DET! Good luck.

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Wait a minute! You saying that Jay Hassinger's old monster 200sx blew the engine??? That is big news if its true...but I would hate to spread a false rumour.

-saaby

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
No rumor. I was there and so was Antonio, it was at the SoCal SERCA track day. The car spun a bearing due to oil starvation. They put it on a trailer right away and it went straight to SR20Development.

·
En mi barrio..
1,588 Posts
Saaby said:
Wait a minute! You saying that Jay Hassinger's old monster 200sx blew the engine??? That is big news if its true...but I would hate to spread a false rumour.

-saaby
Shezzzz, that's too bad. So what are the new plans, if any for the car? All out on the engine now?:D

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
Well, i blew my engine kinda the same way, i was on the way home from NY, i always had a little knock, but travling 80-90 mph for 10 hours isnt the best for a knocking car i guess, it made it there but on the way back i was going up a hill when i lost compression, then BAANG oil/smoke, everything...there is a nice 6inch hole in my block now. :mad: oh well, primera engine :D , thats what you should do man just go get the primera, or if you have the funds get the BB :eek:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always use castol synthetic. It kinda sucks because i took such good care of that motor (aside from the usual flogging). Is there any way to keep this from happening when i get the BB swap, i would really hate to give up my mountain driving.

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Oil starvation huh?...I could be wrong, but there seems to be more sr20's blowing recently. Whats the deal? I am interested to know just how many people have blown their sr20, and under what conditions/mods/etc. The sr20 is supposed to be a tough mother.

-saaby

·
_______
2,170 Posts
Doesn't the BB engine (and the GTi engine) have baffled oil pans? That would prevent oil starvation.

Strange that the SR20DE doesn't have them. If you have them in your gas tank, to ensure you have gas flow even in tight turns, why not in the oil pan?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If the Sr20 doesnt have a baffle then what about when you park on a hill then? Shouldnt you then not idle on a steep hill or try to avoid it as well?

·
8,148 Posts
SucKit said:
If the Sr20 doesnt have a baffle then what about when you park on a hill then? Shouldnt you then not idle on a steep hill or try to avoid it as well?
I think SR20's have baffles.
When I hit my oil pan years ago I had to replace the pan and baffle. BTW, I think everyone here threw a rod at least once. So welcome ot the club. You are official now. Thats why most guys are turbo'ed or Primera'ed out.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Hmm... well, I've heard if you're going to go to the race track, you should have the oil level a lil higher than normal to help prevent oil starvation.

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
if haynes manuals have any credibility, then it does indicate that the SR20 does have a baffle in the oil pan :cool:

and according to this newfound G20 service manual, the SR has two baffles in the oil pan: the "side gallery baffle plate" and the "baffle plate"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts