SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turbos... backpressure is bad. Bigger exhaust, more flow, less back pressure, it makes it all better. Think of it this way.... before you get on a highway, you're stuck on the one lane onramp, but as soon as you hit those 2-4 lanes, you're cruising. Or would you rather have it one lane the whole way?

Khiem

------------------
'96 SE-R.... a few tweaks here and there :)

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
I have 3in mandrel bent Exhaust cat back with Apex mufflers on them for $550. The 2 mufflers that I carry are the N1 and Dunk.

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
I was lookin at my turbo and the t3 side dosn't look like the outlet is more than 2 inches. If this is so then whats the point of a three inch exhaust?

------------------
Russ Knezic
Place Racing CAI,JWT S4 cams and JWT ECU with S4 program, hotshot gen4 header, greddy SP exhaust, KYB AGX's and Ground Controls, Konig Traffiks with Nitto NT555's

Turbo soon!
N/A is not enough

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
Andreas Miko said:
I have 3in mandrel bent Exhaust cat back with Apex mufflers on them for $550. The 2 mufflers that I carry are the N1 and Dunk.
Do you have pic installed and uninstalled of this Andreas? Can I buy it without the muffler?

·
SE-R Bastard
938 Posts
Actually if you are worried about the loudness of 3 inch, 2.5 should be fine up to about 350hp.

-Kris

·
Scary monkey windmill
257 Posts
If you are making 350 HP with a 2.5" exhaust system, you are losing at LEAST 50 HP. I personally got about 30 HP from a full 3" exhaust on a bone stock BB DET, and I was only making about 230 HP total.

We're talking about turbos here, and turbos do not like backpressure. You will make the most HP by removing your exhaust system completely. But since we can't run around with no exhaust, the idea is to get the least restrictive exhaust possible, even for cars with small turbos. If you have a turbo, ANYTHING less than 3" is choking your system.

Now if we were talking N/A, that would be totally different. N/A motors need some backpressure to make power.

As far as noise, what you do is get all 3" straight through components, but get them as long as you possibly can. Get a 20+" long muffler, a 20+" long midpipe and whatever you can do for the cat, I'm not sure how long you can get that. But the longer the individual components are, the quieter the car will be.

·
SE-R Bastard
938 Posts
sorry. I meant 250hp or so. Thanks for catching that.

-Kris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts