SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i finally got my nx runnning good and all of a sudden the temp guage says its getting hot. It will run for a while then it goes up to the H and stays there unless I am going really fast then it cools down but it goes back hot as soon as i slow down. The thermostat is brand new the water pump is good and the sensor for the temp guage is good, what could the problem be. The water in the radiator isnt even hot. and the return hose to the radiator isnt warm like the thermostat hasnt yet opened. please help me, thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the thermostat is installed right the fans are wired to run constant but what do you mean by burb the system

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok now i went through and did everything i could it has a new water pump and new thermostat and temp guage sensor. still gets up on the H after about 10 minutes at idle. but the hose that goes from where the thermostat is to the radiator doesnt even get hot and the other one and the radiator itself does. the fans run all the time that is how they are wired, i still dont know what it could be. I bled the system as my chilton said. I may run it without a thermostat tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.
any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Are you sure you bleed the cylinder head properly?

Did you replace both temp sensors.

And are you sure the thermostat in installed correctly?

BTW, your fans shouldn't run all the time.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Subculture said:

AGREED!! I can personally vouche if you don't replace the jdm single wire sensor w/ the usdm single wire sensor(the little one), and I say this as an assumption that you did a swap, that the temp guage will wreak havoc on your mind.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
it is a problem in the gauge cluster.......my car has been doing it for the original and the swaped motor. its yet another thing i have to take care of on my car aswell

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts

There is only one way to install the thermostat, it will not fit in backwards. There is a little groove in the head for the stat, if it's not in that groove, it will leak like crazy out of the housing.

As for the two bleeders, you mean the one below the distributor, and the one by the heater core, or are there more?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i know where one sensor is and that is over just beside the oil filter, and yes i did a swap from a usdm to a jdm, but i have that sensor out of my usdm motor in this new motor. as far as bleeding it I took out that senor and poured in antifreeze till it came out of that hole then started it and ran it. still reads hot but doesnt seem that the thermostat is opening. Just thinking about what you said txnx, are both of those little things that the wire connects to by the filter for the temp guage? If so I still need to change the tinier one closer to the firewall of my other motor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh and btw my fans run all the time becuase for some reason they wouldnt kick on when it got hot so i just wired them to run all the time. I soldered up a harness and wired it to the fuse block. problem solved with the fans but it didnt solve the problem with the overheated or misreading guage whichever it is

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
93nx2000 said:

well i know where one sensor is and that is over just beside the oil filter, and yes i did a swap from a usdm to a jdm, but i have that sensor out of my usdm motor in this new motor.
Okay so you're using your old USDM temp sensor? How old is it?
It's been my experience that when they go bad, the read lower.

as far as bleeding it I took out that senor and poured in antifreeze till it came out of that hole then started it and ran it.
That's not how it's done.

First, jack up the front of you car as high as you can safely go(The reason for this will become obvious). After you have filled the radiator, remove the bleed plug near the thermostat housing. Then while adding coolant, observe the bleed hole, once you see coolant coming out in a steady stream, then replace the bleed plug.

After you've done that, remove the bleed plug from the heater hose near the firewall. And again, while adding coolant to the radiator, observe the bleed plug and once there's a steady stream of coolant coming out, cap it off.

At this point you should know why I suggested that you jack the front end of the car up. It makes it easier to get all of the air out of the cylinder head.

still reads hot but doesnt seem that the thermostat is opening.
Well is coolant steaming into the resevior bottle? Trouble is, unless you have an aftermarket temp gage, you really don't know how hot your motor is. And if the temp sensors are bad, even a CONSULT wouldn't give you accurate readings.

...are both of those little things that the wire connects to by the filter for the temp guage?
Yes. The one with the clip secured connector goes to the ECU. And the single wire spade connector goes to the dash temp gage.

BTW, have you tried moving the wire on the single wire temp gage while some one was observing the dash temp gage?

If so I still need to change the tinier one closer to the firewall of my other motor.
I would have changed them both.

oh and btw my fans run all the time becuase for some reason they wouldnt kick on when it got hot so i just wired them to run all the time. I soldered up a harness and wired it to the fuse block. problem solved...
The way to have done it would have been to figure out why the fans weren't running, then correct that problem.

It might have been the fan relay. OR the ECU temp sending unit.

But at any rate, the fans were designed to come on once the engine temp gets about 212*- 215*. With the fans running all the time it will cause your motor to take longer to reach proper operating temps.

·
8,148 Posts
What about the ground wire that goes to the guage? Maybe it is frayed. It is the single wire that connects to the block above the sensor. Also the temp guage plug may be bad. My car used to idle wierd until I replaced it. I used to jiggle it and hear the rpm's flutter. I found that one out by accident one day. Lucky me huh?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i had the sensors checked and they are in good working order ill try correctly bleeding the system and changing the smaller sensor with my usdm one and see what happens. I changed the fan relay already and they still didnt work, so i just rewired them. and as for the bleed plug on the head by the thermostat i have looked a lot and never found anything that resembles a plug in the head. I cant find it anywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts