SR20 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my buddies bought a WRX a few months ago, and I was telling him about a few simple things to start on with his car, and I mentioned that it would be worthwhile to get a turbo timer. He replied that the new Subaru turbos have some sort of system that circulates the oil and cools the turbo after the car's off. I looked it up in the owners' manual, and sure enough, there is no need to idle the car after driving, because the car does it anyway. Does anyone know about this system? If it's possible for a scooby, why hasn't it been thought of for other turbo cars? Just a thought....

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
You will probably save a few hundred dolllars just settling with a turbo timer. Cool system though. I will have to ask my Subaru friend about this.

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
Every subaru guy i know has a turbo timer. To pump fluid they would have to have a auxilary pump and i dont see that at all. Maybe they want to replace turbos all the time?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dunno, the WRX manual doesn't explain it, I just heard from a buddy on NASIOC that it's some sort of siphoning system... ??? I should also add that it's only on the 04/05's. I know you'd save a lot of money on the turbo timer, but hey, you wouldn't have to leave your car running after you drove it, over enough years you might pay it off in gas!! Seriously, it just seems like more manufacturers would begin adding the same type of system in order to increase the life of the turbo and satisfaction of the customer... not that I'm going to try to add it to my sentra!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's cool, it could be something like that. I need to look into it more to be sure.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Water does most of the cooling, oil lubicates the bearings...get an electric water pump and a timed switch hooked up to it and the fans and youd be all set.

besides, our oil pump and water pump are mechanical, runs only when the crank is spining, hence turbo timers....

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
Dr.Fowler said:
I dunno, the WRX manual doesn't explain it, I just heard from a buddy on NASIOC that it's some sort of siphoning system... ??? I should also add that it's only on the 04/05's. I know you'd save a lot of money on the turbo timer, but hey, you wouldn't have to leave your car running after you drove it, over enough years you might pay it off in gas!! Seriously, it just seems like more manufacturers would begin adding the same type of system in order to increase the life of the turbo and satisfaction of the customer... not that I'm going to try to add it to my sentra!
Andreas Miko owns an STI, im sure he knows exactly what the system mentioned in the manuel does. I am very curious also, not because I would do it, but just because it is interesting.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will said:
I am very curious also, not because I would do it, but just because it is interesting.
Exactly... I was just wondering if anyone could elucidate the setup..

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
Dr.Fowler said:
elucidate
To clarify or explain, for those of you who don't know. "It appears Dr. Fowler here is an educated man" to quote the wise words of Dr. Holliday. :D

The reasoning behind this is there would be too many lawsuits with something like a turbo timer. People's cars might take off, etc, and you know that they would sue in today's lawsuit-happy world.

So, how does it work? My guess is it fills something that drains through the turbo after oil pressure has left. It definetly isn't something electronic, you would hear it, and the added cost wouldn't pass the beancounters (not to mention the possibility of failure to turn off and drain the battery). Although this would take a while to fill, it doesn't need to be very large considering how slowly oil would flow through a 0.030-0.060" hole if the only thing motivating it was remaining kinetic energy from the oil pump and gravity.

·
Monkey Power
1,105 Posts
the jegs after market unit diverts oil to a holding tank after the car is up to normal operating pressure. the oil is pressurized in the tank and I assume it has some sort of pressure sensing device or is connected to the ignition. when it recieves the signal it releases the presurized oil to the turbo.

·
Registered
356 Posts
an oil accumulator does the same sort of thing, holds oil in a pressurized container, mainly used for combatting surge and lubrcation pre-start.

i'd imagine it works on a similar principle.

personnally i just let the car cool down by driving it slowly for the last few miles of my journey, i've never fitted a turbo timer and never will.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The subaru system has nothing to do with oil. Basically the way they setup their coolant system there is a water holding tank that is mounted higher than the turbo and the radiator. After the car is shut down and the engine cools, it pulls water from the header tank through the turbo and back into the radiator. This basically circulates water through the turbo and cools it down.

Its not active at all and uses no electricity or mechanical systems.

J

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wont the water that is being heated in the turbocharger rise as it gets hotter, allowing cold water to enter from below? That would cause a slight circulation even when the engine is not running, as long as the water suply line is placed lower in the turbo than the return line. Something similar happened on one of my motorcycles. The waterpump did not spin, but there was still a noticeable current in the radiator.

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
I dont see how the water flows down to the turbo? Have you ever seen where a subi turbo sits? Its like above the motor.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It doesn't matter what the level of the turbo is, as long as the surface of the water is above the surface of the water in the turbo, even if it's only measurable in millimeters. According to the laws of fluid dynamics, flow will occur no matter what. Also, if you have a system where water is draining out one side, nature's resistance to allowing a vacuum will pull water up from a reservoir easily (exactly like using a siphon to steal gas) as long as the downward flowing fluid has no air in it. It makes sense that it would be a water, and not oil system, as the heat absorption of water is so much better than anything, especially oil. Glad to have some info on this!!

·
shift_boost
1,949 Posts
I know flow goes down. But the last time i looked under a subies hood i remember the turbo being the higest point. Also if this was the case all oem turbo setups of ours would work this way. Since our turbos are at the bottom of the water flow. This just baffles me enlighten me if im missing something. chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts